You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Blogging Motivation: 5,000+ Words A Week Challenge Is On!

No Tags
UserPost

10:11 am
December 22, 2012

maria@moneyprinciple

Manchester, UK

posts 679

Last week (week 6 of challenge) the word count shows:

On The Money Principle

Principles Money Posts #29 – 1128

My Financial Goals: end of play – 1053

About frugality, co-creation and… – 763

Five questions to ask ourselves before taking out a personal loan – 855

Is getting in debt the best thing that could have happened to me? Really? – 1130

On Tax Fix

Should you give up your Frappuccino? Tax avoidance in the UK – 1048

Grand total: 5,977

Two things have happened: in the last two weeks four people have told me that I am 'a really good writer' (I am trying not to pay too much attention but then again 'if three people tell you that you are a mule go and buy a saddle'); the visits on The Money Principle have been going up. May not be causallity and there is probably some nesting effects – Ifeel much better writing longer pieces because I am a story teller.

Maria

11:06 am
December 22, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Week 6, 12/22/12 Update

Financial Samurai

Financial Moves To Make Before And After The Fiscal Cliff – 12/21/12, 1,493 words

Why Does It Take So Long To Refinance A Mortgage? – 12/20/12, 923 words

Your Money Strength: How Hard Is Your Money Working For You? – 12/18/12, 1,198 words

How To Reduce 401K Fees Through Portfolio Analysis – 12/16/12, 1268 words

How Tax Collectors Like The IRS Cleverly Rob You Of Your Money, 12/14/12, 1,593 words

Sub Total: 6,475

Elsewhere

Yakezie: Relationship Building Across Different Genres, 12/21/12, 685 words

Budgets Are Sexy: Side Hustle Series: I'm A Watch Dealer, Baby! 12/13/12, 1,765 words

Grand Total: 8,965

Notes

* Writing 5,000 words is now much easier after working at it for 6 weeks in a row.

* Search traffic is fading due to seasonality, but revenue is surging, which means conversion rates are going up. 

* I am more convinced than ever that blogging is a true meritocracy. Once this Challenge is over, I'm going to ask for feedback from those who succeeded in this challenge, as well as hear from those who failed and write up a post of course!

Happy Holidays everyone. One more week, so let's finish STRONG!

Sam

Regards,

Sam

Financial Samurai - Helping you achieve financial freedom sooner, rather than later.

Yakezie Network Founder 

1:28 pm
December 22, 2012

Edward Antrobus

Fort Collins, CO

posts 1008

I realize that I've basically been whining the past couple weeks. I apologize. It is eye opening to how much it takes to be a full-time blogger. I probably don't have what it takes to be a full-timer but, as Sam would say, I have no one to blame but myself.

I had a guest post on If You Can Read, You Can Cook this week, but I also published a guest post on another site, so it evened out.  Including the guest post, I had new content go out every single day this week. It felt really good to see all those dates line up without any gaps!

• Edward Antrobus is continuing it's gradual climb. Again, no way of knowing what is from the switch to a .com and what if from meatier content, but I'm sure the two have synergistic effects.
  • If You Can Read, You Can Cook is beginning to recover from it's fall slump. Monthly page-views should be up for the first time 3 months.
  • SEAM Publishing is the clear winner of this challenge. Very clear correlation between the the tutorials I've been publishing and increased traffic, including to other pages.

My numbers this week:

If You Can Read, You Can Cook

12/20 Use Parchment Paper When Baking Cookies: Tips & Tricks – 597 words

subtotal 597 words

Edward Antrobus

12/17 When There Isn't Enough Money at the End of the Month – 854 words

12/19 We Got Outta Debt: Book Review – 1248 words

12/21 Is It Time to Retire the Concept of Retirement? – 1051 words

subtotal 2299 words

SEAM Publishing

12/22 How to Get Published on Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing – 2149 words

subtotal 2149 words

guest posts

12/18 Saving Money with Comparison Shopping (Frugal Rules) – 703 words

subtotal 703 words

grand total: 5748 words

I'm looking for editors, beta-readers, and some demographic research for my upcoming novel, Once Upon a Saturn Moon. If you like reading soft sci-fi thrillers, maybe with a touch of romance thrown in, you can find more information at http://seampublishing.com/once…..aturn-moon

If You Can Read, You Can Cookhttp://www.ifyoucanread.com | Think you can't cook? If you can read this sentence, then you can.

SEAM Publishinghttp://www.seampublishing.com | eBook formatting and publishing service

10:45 pm
December 22, 2012

martin

posts 199

Week 6 update:

I hit my target of 5 posts for Studenomics. The problem? I didn't get a colossal post out. The good news? I got a few guest posts out and did some writing for a new site. The even better news? I turn 25 on Wednesday. I have posts lined up for the next few weeks.

Studenomics:

bright side getting fired 12/22, 450 words

strategy for the job 12/20, 668 words

Protect yourself 12/19, 701 words

Online bank 12/18, 774 words

Start investing 12/17, 750 words

SFN:

Freelancing rule 12/17, 1003 words

Master a new skill 12/20, 945 words

choose a cc @ GPT, 506 words

extra space @ TFB, 694 words

Why a real job is good @Young Finances, 600 words

cc debt @Experiglot, 500

save $ on mortgage @DNW, 500 

Grand total= 8,091.

The best part is that I have articles lined up that I didn't count. I have anywhere from 4-7 articles finished and just waiting to be published. What did it for me is that I was a man possessed on Tuesday night. Nobody was safe. The words came out like never before.

11:13 pm
December 22, 2012

FI Fighter

posts 53

Week 6 check in:

Real Estate Rental Property #2 Update (December 18, 2012) (651 words)

Company Shutdown (Early FI Schedule) (1791 words)

Watchlist (December 22, 2012) (989 words)

How the Journey to Early Financial Independence is Making My Life Better Today (1599 words)

Total: 5030 words

One more week! Let's do this! Happy holidays everyone ;)

FI Fighter (Path to Early Financial Independence)

http://www.fifighter.com

Follow on twitter

https://twitter.com/FI_Fighter

11:22 am
December 23, 2012

savingadvice

posts 100

While it seems that the numbers came in just over 5000, this was actually a pretty good week. I wrote about an additional 5000 words for posts that will go up at various times in the next month, so the real total was about 10,000 words. 

Week 6 12/16 – 12/22

SavingAdvice

"I Have No Money" 12/17/2012 969 words
"Preparation: Minimum Wage Challenge" 12/21/2012 680 words
"Frequently Asked Questions: Minimum Wage Challenge" 12/22/2012 769 words

BloggingAwayDebt

"No Money? Things Not To Do" 12/17/2012 885 words

HelloKittyHell

"Hello Kitty Stockings" 12/19/2012 168 words

TimeshareTrap

"Costs Timeshare Have That Hotels Don’t" 12/22/2012 1141 words

NationalParksBlog

"Is Rock Stacking Graffiti?" 12/22/2012 273 words

NoSpendDay

"No Spend Weekend" 12/22/2012 459 words

Total Words Week Six: 5,344 words

Random notes:

* Posts for hellokittyhell and nationalparksblog are short because these are more photo blogs than information blogs
* I have come up with my 2013 blogging strategy with a two pronged attack: 1) I have committed to a year long 
challenge of trying to live well on a minimum wage salary — this is to bring real life financial situations and decision
making into the blog. 2) To write at least one comprehensive, exhaustive article each week. I think having those two 
as the foundation of the next year will help the blog and site grow.
* I will be pulling away from creating more niche sites and concentrating on the ones I already have and building 
those out into stronger sites.
* While this challenge is supposed to end this week, I am going to carry it on throughout 2013 (why stop a good 
thing that seems to get me to write more?)

Challenge Blog 1

8:55 pm
December 23, 2012

Elle

Raleigh, NC

posts 199

Week 6

Couple Money

• Finding a Better Deal on Our Home Insurance - 1,169
  • Mortgage Payoff Progress for 2012 – 1,281
  • Four hour Chef – Worth It? – 602

Word Count: 3,052

My Financial Reviews

• Debt Free Wedding – 726 
  • What Can You Do to Get Ready for 2013? – 501
  • 4 Common Budget Mistakes and How to Fix Them -722
Word Count -1, 949 words
Total Count: 5,001 
Just got it in, but I'm happy to have it done! 

Elle Martinez

Couple Money- Live on one income; have fun with the second.

Couple Money Podcast – Building Up Your Marriage and Your Net Worth

Please chat with me - Couple Money on Twitter

7:55 am
December 26, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Post edited 8:25 am – December 26, 2012 by Financial Samurai

Happy Holidays 5K Challengers!

If you guys are looking for a good post idea in this slow week, try doing a "Best Of….." post. I just did one on FS, and it was pretty fun to see what the most searched for posts were, the most commented, and also the most interesting from the entire year. You'll discover posts you probably forgot you even wrote!

The post is a template for where you might want to take your site in 2013. It can also serve as a "blog resume" if you're interested in freelancing, applying for media related jobs, etc. Finally, the post helps you finish the 5K Challenge strong!

Cheers

Regards,

Sam

Financial Samurai - Helping you achieve financial freedom sooner, rather than later.

Yakezie Network Founder 

8:17 am
December 26, 2012

Edward Antrobus

Fort Collins, CO

posts 1008

Sam, Thanks for the tip. Tomorrow is actually my 3 year anniversary of when I first started blogging. I will roll these ideas into the reflective post I was already planning for Friday.

I'm looking for editors, beta-readers, and some demographic research for my upcoming novel, Once Upon a Saturn Moon. If you like reading soft sci-fi thrillers, maybe with a touch of romance thrown in, you can find more information at http://seampublishing.com/once…..aturn-moon

If You Can Read, You Can Cookhttp://www.ifyoucanread.com | Think you can't cook? If you can read this sentence, then you can.

SEAM Publishinghttp://www.seampublishing.com | eBook formatting and publishing service

10:42 am
December 29, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Post edited 11:36 am – December 29, 2012 by Financial Samurai

FINAL WEEK update!

Financial Samurai

Supporting Our Veterans Back Home, 12/29,12, 800 words

Best Of Financial Samurai 2012, 12/26/12, 1387 words

Are You Getting Your Money's Worth For The Taxes You Paid?, 12/24/12, 735 words

Financial Samurai 2012 Predictions Recap, 12/28 but moved to 12/31 due to Sunday budget talks 3,009 words

Sub-Total: 5,927

Yakezie

There's No Road Like Home, 12/29, 401

Grand Total: 6,328

* Feels darn good to finish this 7 week long, 5,000+ words a week challenge! Feels like time really flew by. The holidays definitely made the Challenge somewhat more difficult, especially since search related traffic really took a dip during Thanksgiving and Christmas and we're all so busy.

* Traffic snapped back dramatically after 12/25. Did you guys see the same rebound in search at least?

* Opportunities randomly come if you stay consistent! The higher than normal posting activity on FS (perhaps also b/c posting activity is also down across the sphere in general), I was contacted by a video ad agency right before Christmas and on Friday, 12/28 to see if I'd like to host some sponsored videos for Jeep and BMW. I am a car nut w/ the 2013 Jeep Laredo and 2013 X3 on my wish-list. I love their message on family and supporting our Veterans. 

* December was a great month vs. expectations of being a poor month due to seasonality. 

Questions For Challengers For A Post Recap:

Some point in January, I will publish a recap post on Yakezie.com with a working title, "The Internet Meritocracy." I want to explore the following questions:

* Do you think the Internet is one of the best examples of meritocracy? Why or why not.

* If webmasters/publishers/bloggers want to gain more traffic, why not write more meatier content since the top 10 searched posts average 1,500 words or greater on Google?

* If webmasters/publishers/bloggers want to earn more income, what's stopping them from creating their own products, writing helpful posts with appropriate affiliate products, guest posting, making pitches, and so forth?

* If Google says, "Content is King," and they are constantly updating their algorithms to become smarter to find better content, does anything beyond basic SEO matter?

* Is blogging/freelance a viable income stream for 2013 and beyond? What are two or three things bloggers and freelancers need to be successful. What is the number one thing that is holding you back from succeeding? What does "successful" mean to you?

* Why do you think there is so much hatred for those who put so many hours into something to succeed?

* What are some things you found out about yourself during the Y5K Challenge (positive and/or negative) that you did not fully realize beforehand?

Please e-mail me your thoughts and answers, and I will include them in the post with a link to your site. Conversely, you can write your own post on your site with answers to the questions and I'll link back on my Internet Meritocracy post. You're free to answer one of the questions or all, up to you.

Thanks everyone! 

Sam

Regards,

Sam

Yakezie Network Founder 

10:42 pm
December 29, 2012

FI Fighter

posts 53

Final Week check-in:

12/26 Portfolio Update: New Addition (SO; December 26, 2012) (560 words)

12/28 Goals for 2012 Review (1623 words)

12/29 Milestone Reached – $300 Month in Dividends (465 words)

12/29 Learning to Deal with Rejection (It Happens…) (2585 words)

Total: 5233 words

That does it! I made it! Surprised

Wow, that sure wasn't easy, but in a way it does feel like these past 7 weeks have really just flown by. With a full time job + the holidays, it definitely took some extra effort and concentration to pull through.

Thanks everyone for all the support, motivation, and push! Laugh

FI Fighter (Path to Early Financial Independence)

http://www.fifighter.com

Follow on twitter

https://twitter.com/FI_Fighter

11:06 am
December 30, 2012

martin

posts 199

Final Week!

Powerful moves in your 20s @ Sweating The Big Stuff, 646 words

Master a new skill @ SFN, 604

Excuses to freelancing @ SFN, 679

Blogging tips @ TFB, 1012

Studenomics:

Saving up for next xmas 12/24, 583

Xmas thoughts 12/25, 400

bday life lessons 12/26, 2535 (updated from last year though)

You don't have to just survive 12/28, 564 

Total words= 7,023 words!

Final thoughts: writing 1,000 words a day or so is a new skill that I'm most proud of. I plan on continuing this into 2013.

Thanks for the challenge guys. What's next?

1:47 pm
December 30, 2012

maria@moneyprinciple

Manchester, UK

posts 679

Last week!

Merry Christmas (TMP) – 398

The Best of The Money Principle – 1193

Principled Money Posts (TMP) – 1454

Things we miss, things we gain (guest post on Budgets are Sexy) – 1302

Total 4,347

Observations: I enjoyed this and although I rarely hit the 5,000 for my blog it has been a positive experience. I will probably continue publishing longer articles but am not sure about the frequency – probably, will stick with four times a week (about 4,000 words per week). What I would like to do in 2013 is to up the guest posting.

6:15 am
December 31, 2012

Pauline

posts 274

Congrats to everyone completing the challenge! Here is my week 3

2013 financial goals – 732
the tale of two broadband providers, the very best and the very worst – 967
Friday recap, a lost turkey and Christmas miracle – 756
How to plan and budget for a honeymoon @ sweating the big stuff – 1308

That last guest posts saves the week, still pretty low at
3763 words, hoping for a better start in 2013!

Happy new year!!

Pauline @ Reach Financial Independence

Yakezie Member Site: 

Reach Financial Independence 

Email:  tdmpauline *at* gmail *dot* com

I am also on Twitter and Facebook

8:24 am
December 31, 2012

Edward Antrobus

Fort Collins, CO

posts 1008

I'm a bit disappointed in myself, because I came up short for the final week. In my defense, I was knocked seriously out of commission for the weekend by a nasty stomach bug. This is the first time my computer has even been on since Friday! If I hadn't gotten sick, well, I have a half-finished post on SEAM Publishing that was going to go up Saturday afternoon and is already at 800 words.

If You Can Read, You Can Cook

12/23 Turkey Potstickers: Recipe Sunday – 561 words

12/27 Use Old Vegetables to Make Stock: Tips & Tricks – 606 words

subtotal: 1167 words

Edward Antrobus

12/24 The $3k Challenge: The Final Update – 865 words

12/26 3 Ways to Get Rid of Your Old Cell Phone – 1008 words

12/28 3 Year Blogoversery – 908 words

subtotal: 2781 words

total: 3948 words

Traffic is recovering nicely after Christmas, and in fact, If You Can Read, You Can Cook had it's best week ever last week. I believe that I've come out of the fall doldrums that the site suffers from. In other news, my AdSense income for the month reached an all-time high late last week.

12:14 pm
December 31, 2012

Jake@iHeartBudgets.net

posts 407

Last Two Weeks Update

Ending 12/23:

Monday – When There's Not Enough Money – 856 Words

Wednesday – End of the World Budget- 856 Words (man, I'm consistent :) )

Friday – Budget Friday: Weed Edition – 1510 Words

Sunday – Weelky Wrap Up – 825 Words

Total – 4,047 Words!

Ending 12/30:

Thursday – Christmas on the Credit Cards – 660 Words

Sunday – 5 Reasons to Start a Budget in 2013 – 1087 Words

Total – 1,747 Words

I finally hit my goal of 3,500 words , and then dropped off this past week due to holidays and birthdays. I don't have a queue of posts saved up, so that's why my posting schedule dropped. Didn't hurt traffic at all, though, due to some big mentions and friends that share my stuff. Really appreciate all the blog love these past few weeks :)

I'm going to keep this challenge for myself in the new year, though I'm a little scared of tax season + full-time job + blogging + toddler. It's going to be a rough season…

3:06 pm
December 31, 2012

OneCentAtatime

Florida, USA

posts 1778

Massive! rock on you guys. I am up for the next writing challenge.

SB

One Cent At A Time  (Yakezie Member Site)

http://twitter.com/onlyonecent

onecentatatime@gmail.com

Finance Product Reviews 

https://twitter.com/FPRReviews

7:57 am
January 3, 2013

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Hi Folks,

I hope you guys are seeing a significant pickup in traffic for the new year. The portfolio of meaty posts you wrote in the past two months should really help provide a boost. If not now, than sometime this year. I'd identify two or three of your best posts in this Challenge and work on promoting them internally and externally for 1H13.

Also, those interested in being included in a wrap up post, please send over your questions by this weekend.

Thanks!

Sam

Regards,

Sam

Yakezie Network Founder 

2:36 pm
January 4, 2013

Pauline

posts 274

Post edited 9:10 am – January 12, 2013 by Pauline

I sent you an email about the wrap up Sam.

Week 4, happy new year all!

Little house in Guatemala, week 8-9 and costs recap 1429

13 money resolutions for 2013

#1 start somewhere 752

#2 trim the fat 556

#3 do it yourself 466

friday recap, a loving turkey and a big check – 1150

Location of San Pedro Itzá and Retiring in Guatemala: How much does it cost @San Pedro Itzá: 899

TOTAL 5252

Still waiting for a few websites to publish my guest posts this month so it should be a good one. Have a great weekend everyone!

Pauline @ Reach Financial Independence

Yakezie Member Site: 

Reach Financial Independence 

Email:  tdmpauline *at* gmail *dot* com

I am also on Twitter and Facebook

11:09 am
January 31, 2013

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Post edited 11:09 am – January 31, 2013 by Financial Samurai

Hi Pauline – don't think I got it? Please resend.

How's everybody's publishing initiatives going for the new year? Good traffic and revenue growth in January hopefully?

I'm definitely going to continue with the 5K published words / week initiative for 2013. Three 1,400-1,500 word posts a week + a shorter post for the weekend sounds like a good balance.

Fight on, and never surrender!

Regards,

Sam

Yakezie Network Founder 

No Tags

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)