You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

If you are below 200,000 Alexa rank, what has changed?

No Tags
UserPost

7:04 am
January 11, 2011

moneycone

posts 617

Barb Friedberg said:

Since my goal is a long term one, I'm less concerned with the short term results and more focused on growing my blog into an important personal finance resource that will endure. 

Spoken like a true investor Barb! Smile

1:06 pm
January 11, 2011

The Financial Blogger

posts 429

Melissa said:

How exactly is the Page Rank work?  Mine was 2, but right before I switched from Blogger to Word Press in October, it dropped to 0 and has never rebounded.

PR is being managed by Google according to their own rules. Same for Alexa rank that is being managed on a arbitrary basis (because they almost ignore people who don't navigate with their toolbar while ranking websites!).

Since you have changed from blogger to word press, you have changed your domain site. it's only normal that your PR for the new site has dropped to 0. It will go back later on ;-D

1:10 pm
January 11, 2011

The Financial Blogger

posts 429

oh and for the record, I dropped from 165K to 84K with The Financial Blogger and absolutely no changes. I simply earned my right to enter the private forum… in February… darn!

I actually get very good advertising opportunities with my blogs without a good Alexa ranking on my other blogs (my best income earner is The Dividend Guy Blog and it's not even in the top 200K yet!).

4:26 pm
January 11, 2011

Sustainable PF

posts 2759

The Financial Blogger said:

Melissa said:

How exactly is the Page Rank work?  Mine was 2, but right before I switched from Blogger to Word Press in October, it dropped to 0 and has never rebounded.

PR is being managed by Google according to their own rules. Same for Alexa rank that is being managed on a arbitrary basis (because they almost ignore people who don't navigate with their toolbar while ranking websites!).

Since you have changed from blogger to word press, you have changed your domain site. it's only normal that your PR for the new site has dropped to 0. It will go back later on ;-D

It is well documented that PR has not been updated since March 2009.  Seems dead to me.

Visit us at Sustainable Personal Finance

Or Earth and Money

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and RSS!

4:26 pm
January 11, 2011

Sustainable PF

posts 2759

The Financial Blogger said:

Melissa said:

It is well documented that PR has not been updated since March 2010.  Seems dead to me.

Or Earth and Money

8:31 am
January 13, 2011

TightFistedMiser

posts 361

I've had blogs change Page Rank since March 2010.  I guess that means if they lost their Page Rank they won't get it back now.

As to the orginal question I did see a lot more advertising opportunities when my Alexa Rank went down.  At around the same time my PR went from 0 to 4, I went from the third to second page of Wisebread's PF blogs, and started writing a weekly post for U.S. News so it is hard to say how much of the new advertising opportunities were due to my Alexa rank dropping.

10:29 am
January 13, 2011

Khaleef @ KNS Financial

Fat Guy, Skinny Wallet

posts 3149

Once I dropped low enough to make it on the front page of the Wisebread list, I was contacted a lot by fake guest posters trying to advertise and a few legit ones. But once WB changed their scoring system, I haven't heard from any advertisers.

Khaleef "Fat Guy" Crumbley

My Battle to Lose 100lbs and Pay off $100k in Debt:

http://fatguyskinnywallet.com

http://twitter.com/FGSW

http://www.facebook.com/fatguy…..innywallet

Personal Finance From A Biblical Perspective:

http://knsfinancial.com

http://www.facebook.com/knsfinancial

http://twitter.com/knsfinancial

1:47 pm
January 13, 2011

Sustainable PF

posts 2759

Almost at 200k now.  Had 3 fake GP requests and no other non-Yakezie request.  No advertisers to date.

But, almost done the challenge.  It will be interesting to see if I can make my goal of 23mil –> 200k in 8 weeks or less.  2 days to go but traffic has been awful today (stupid feed hasn't hit my reader and I posted almost 10 hrs ago).

For us it was about the challenge and the writing.  Money would be gravy, but not required – we're loving writing together and working on a project together we're both interested in (other than home renos!).

Or Earth and Money

6:09 pm
January 13, 2011

Melissa (Mom's Plans)

posts 908

TightFistedMiser said:

I've had blogs change Page Rank since March 2010.  I guess that means if they lost their Page Rank they won't get it back now.

As to the orginal question I did see a lot more advertising opportunities when my Alexa Rank went down.  At around the same time my PR went from 0 to 4, I went from the third to second page of Wisebread's PF blogs, and started writing a weekly post for U.S. News so it is hard to say how much of the new advertising opportunities were due to my Alexa rank dropping.

How do you get on Wisebread's list?  Do you have to apply?  I see so many people mention, and yet when I go to Wisebread's site, I don't even see a list.  (Yes, I am completely clueless on this!)Embarassed

My Member Site:  Mom's Plans

My Challenger Site:  Fiscal Phoenix

E-mail:  momsplans@yahoo.com

6:36 pm
January 13, 2011

Budgeting in the Fun Stuff

posts 3048

Here's the list:  http://www.wisebread.com/top-1…..nce-blogs/

You submit here:  http://www.wisebread.com/top-1…..ogs/submit

Crystal

Yakezie Member Site: 

Ebook:  How I Make Money Blogging:
The Beginner's Guide to Building a Money-Making Site

Email:  budgetingfunstuff *at* gmail *dot* com

You can also find me on Twitter and Facebook

6:38 pm
January 13, 2011

Invest It Wisely

posts 2019

Sustainable PF said:

Almost at 200k now.  Had 3 fake GP requests and no other non-Yakezie request.  No advertisers to date.

But, almost done the challenge.  It will be interesting to see if I can make my goal of 23mil –> 200k in 8 weeks or less.  2 days to go but traffic has been awful today (stupid feed hasn't hit my reader and I posted almost 10 hrs ago).

For us it was about the challenge and the writing.  Money would be gravy, but not required – we're loving writing together and working on a project together we're both interested in (other than home renos!).

That was crazy fast. Congrats! Lol about the fake GPs, too, I am still getting plenty of those.

6:49 pm
January 13, 2011

Melissa (Mom's Plans)

posts 908

Budgeting in the Fun Stuff said:

Here's the list:  http://www.wisebread.com/top-1…..nce-blogs/

You submit here:  http://www.wisebread.com/top-1…..ogs/submit

Thanks!  I just found it and applied.

My Member Site:  Mom's Plans

My Challenger Site:  Fiscal Phoenix

E-mail:  momsplans@yahoo.com

9:26 pm
January 13, 2011

Aloysa

posts 910

Nothing has changed for me. I am not that interested in money (would be really nice but not essential.) I love writing… I love writing therefore I blog… So, no major changes for me…

Creator of:

2:24 pm
January 14, 2011

debtfreedivas

posts 121

When you all say private forum, is there another forum for folks with <200K Alexa rank or do you just mean this one. I'm a little confused…

2:58 pm
January 14, 2011

Sustainable PF

posts 2759

debtfreedivas said:

When you all say private forum, is there another forum for folks with <200K Alexa rank or do you just mean this one. I'm a little confused…

From what I understand, once you finish the challenge there are other forums you can see.

Or Earth and Money

3:35 pm
January 14, 2011

posts 3048

debtfreedivas said:

Yes, there is another set of forums.  They work like this one but they are only visible to full members.  For what it's worth though, I seem to read from Blogger's Lair way more than any other, lol.

Crystal

Yakezie Member Site: 

4:52 pm
January 14, 2011

Buy Like Buffett

posts 1682

Sustainable PF's rank has dropped so fast.

Mark

Learn how to build wealth at Buy Like Buffett.

Learn about making money online at Mark Riddix dot com

Follow me on Twitter

6:23 pm
January 14, 2011

SavingMentor

posts 217

Buy Like Buffett said:

I know, I'm so jealous. I think they need to put on a seminar on how to push your alexa rank off a cliff!

7:00 pm
January 14, 2011

Sustainable PF

posts 2759

Buy Like Buffett said:

We're in awe TBH.  We entered Yakezie expecting to take the 6 months and hopefully we'd break 200k.

I'd be happy to tell others what we did, perhaps this could be the content of our member post.  Anything we can do to give back to this fantastic community is A-OK by us.  Mrs. SPF is pretty shocked too, but she thanks me for doing the networking part of things.

Ultimately, I believe that people from Yakezie have become regular readers and perhaps some other regular readers have the Alexa tool bar installed.  Heck, we haven't even told friends and family about our site as we choose to remain annonymous writers (for now).

While our success in Alexa has been cool, we (I) envy Boomer and Echo (not sure they're Yakezie) who get mentions VERY often from a lot of the "big guys" in the PF blogosphere.

Today we got mentions (links) from 2 of the "big guys" and we had our biggest page view / visitor numbers ever.  TWICE as many hits as we'd ever seen before (actually more).  Traffic has been crazy nice (235 visits, previous high was 115 and page views 1018 today when our previous high was 510). 

Anyhow, happy to share our "strategy", if you can call it that, with anyone and everyone assuming the community feels it is a good idea to do so.

Thanks for all the help from all of you.  The advice here, in email, the visits and comments on our site have been invaluable.

Or Earth and Money

7:22 pm
January 14, 2011

posts 3048

Who did you get mentioned by?

Crystal

Yakezie Member Site: 

No Tags

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)