You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Return to Search Results

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Advertising for new blog

UserPost

2:45 pm
February 21, 2013

ayoungpro

Lehi, UT

posts 184

Hello everyone,

I hope I am not wearing out my welcome by asking so many questions, but I'm committed to the success of my blog and you guys are awesome. I have a question about advertising on a brand new blog. When I migrated to Wordpress I signed up for Infolinks to test it out. Obviously at this point I am not generating a lot of visitors or page views, but it is getting better almost every day. I am thinking that I will disable Infolinks on my site for now but I am wondering what your opinions are on different types of advertising. I really enjoy blogging and I want my content to be stellar, but I am obviously trying to build a business as well. Any thoughts/advice/insight would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

2:48 pm
February 21, 2013

ayoungpro

Lehi, UT

posts 184

I should also mention that I have no interest in only taking the advice you all offer me and not returning the favor. I do truly read, enjoy, and comment on as many Yakezie blogs as possible and I appreciate all of you and your expertise!

3:19 pm
February 21, 2013

The College Investor

San Diego, CA

Admin

posts 1935

Please check out The College Investor at http://thecollegeinvestor.com!  This is the home of my Investing 101 Class.

Ready to Take Your Blog To The Next Level: http://beatthe9to5.com

You can also follow on Twitter @CollegeInvestin or Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/thecol…..geinvestor!

3:21 pm
February 21, 2013

ayoungpro

Lehi, UT

posts 184

Thanks!

6:17 pm
February 21, 2013

My Personal Finance Journey

posts 3159

Robert's article pretty much sums up the advice I could give as well. 

Having infolinks won't really generate any money until you get more traffic, so I 'd recommend taking that down. 

Jacob @ My Personal Finance Journey

Visit me at My Personal Finance Journey

Email me jacob@mypersonalfinancejourney.com

Be my Facebook Friend, Follow my journey on Twitter

7:34 pm
February 21, 2013

20s Finances

Admin

posts 1147

Many people start out with google adsense. I'd recommend not advertising for the first 3 months at least. In fact, you might as well wait until you have multiple thousand pageviews within 1 month (unless you have some targeted traffic).

It's better to spend your time building traffic, write guest posts, etc. 

That's just my suggestion… at the same time, I understand the urge to want to advertise from month one.

Corey

20's Finances Passive Income to Retire

Follow Me on Twitter Like 20's Finances at Facebook

Subscribe to Email Updates

20sfinances *at* gmail *dot* com

8:21 pm
February 21, 2013

ayoungpro

Lehi, UT

posts 184

Thanks Corey. I thinking I probably will disable advertisements for a while and focus on other things. I appreciate your input.

7:37 pm
February 23, 2013

mbhunter

posts 198

20s Finances said:

Many people start out with google adsense. I'd recommend not advertising for the first 3 months at least. In fact, you might as well wait until you have multiple thousand pageviews within 1 month (unless you have some targeted traffic).

That's just my suggestion… at the same time, I understand the urge to want to advertise from month one.

Interesting.  Certainly a valid take on the subject.

I'd heard another take on it:  Advertise from the start.  That way your audience will be used to it.  Additionally, if you're getting visits from search engines, they're there to solve some problem.  Why not serve ads that address the problem they're trying to solve?

Mighty Bargain Hunter — blogging on personal finance since 2005

Get money-saving tips with the newsletter!

Also follow me on Twitter and like me on Facebook!

7:22 am
February 24, 2013

PK @ DQYDJ

The Intersection of Politics, Economics and Personal Finance.

posts 361

mbhunter said:

20s Finances said:

Interesting.  Certainly a valid take on the subject.

I'd heard another take on it:  Advertise from the start.  That way your audience will be used to it.  Additionally, if you're getting visits from search engines, they're there to solve some problem.  Why not serve ads that address the problem they're trying to solve?

Yeah, that's the camp I'm from.  Toss it up now so people don't feel betrayed when you flip the AdSense switch a few months down the road.

Don't Quit Your Day Job…

http://dqydj.net or http://yourdayjob.net

Follow us at @dqydj_net on Twitter and connect with us on Facebook.

6:01 pm
February 25, 2013

Funancials

posts 345

It's entirely based on your personal preference. I second Corey's thoughts and say don't worry about monetizing until 3-6 months in BUT many bloggers have proved me wrong. You could certainly argue either way. 

To answer your question, I would disable infolinks for the time being.

Name: Hunter (aka A. Blinkin)

twitter: @funancials

email: funancials@gmail.com

8:17 pm
February 25, 2013

OneCentAtatime

Florida, USA

posts 1778

Post edited 8:30 pm – February 25, 2013 by OneCentAtatime

When I first started, I had adsense and infolink, before I understood anything, was banned from adsense. Apparently for click abuse. I plead not-guilty.

In first 6 months I generated huge $0.50 from Infolink. Right after removing infolink audience retention increased. Not sure if there's any connection though.

Please take it down. You can start out with affiliate links anytime, even in your first month,provided you get approved. 

I would sayas others suggested, put off earning part for first few months. All the best!

SB

One Cent At A Time  (Yakezie Member Site)

http://twitter.com/onlyonecent

onecentatatime@gmail.com

Finance Product Reviews 

https://twitter.com/FPRReviews

1:19 pm
February 26, 2013

ayoungpro

Lehi, UT

posts 184

Thanks for all of the opinions! I have disabled Infolinks for now. I will instead spend my time trying to build my content and traffic for a while. I really appreciate all of the help, you all are the best!

4:02 pm
February 26, 2013

Eliza Cross

posts 164

The College Investor said:

You may find this helpful: How to Get Advertising For Your Blog or Website.

College Investor, I just read your article and got several new ideas. Thanks! Laugh

Visit my site at Happy Simple Living

Let's connect on Facebook, Twitter and Google+

Also at BENSA, my fun site for bacon lovers!

4:06 pm
February 26, 2013

retireby40

USA

posts 1381

I would start with affiliate links. You probably won't make any money for a long while, but once the links are in your article, it's all passive income after that. Well, program changes once in a while so you might need to do some maintenance, but you get my point right?

retire by 40

Twitter: @retirebyforty

Facebook: Retire By 40 

6:07 pm
February 26, 2013

The Frugal Path

posts 24

I've been blogging on The Frugal Path for five months now and this past weekend I began Adsense. You can put ads on your site, but I wouldn't expect to receive much income for quite some time. My first sponsored post was posted this month and came to me from a Yakezie member. In the beginning focus on creating great content and commenting on other blogs to get your name out there. 

Walk beside me at The Frugal Path

Follow me on Twitter @thefrugalpath

Like me at on Facebook

email me at contact@thefrugalpath.com

11:19 am
February 27, 2013

ayoungpro

Lehi, UT

posts 184

Thanks, I'll definitely look into affiliate links as I am not too familiar with them at the moment.

5:58 pm
February 27, 2013

CashRebel

Chicago

posts 23

The Frugal Path said:

I've been blogging on The Frugal Path for five months now and this past weekend I began Adsense. You can put ads on your site, but I wouldn't expect to receive much income for quite some time. My first sponsored post was posted this month and came to me from a Yakezie member. In the beginning focus on creating great content and commenting on other blogs to get your name out there. 

I'm in the same place as you.  I just signed up for Adsense today after about 5 months of blogging and I'm excited to try it out.  What did you find most challenging/easiest about setting up Adsense and getting going?

Ross

8:36 am
February 28, 2013

cheapstudents

posts 44

ayoungpro said:

Thanks, I'll definitely look into affiliate links as I am not too familiar with them at the moment.

I would definitely be interested in learning more about affiliate links as well. Does anyone have a link to a previous thread on this forum? 

Lauren Bernardo

Cheap Students

Blog Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+

1:55 pm
February 28, 2013

MyJourneytoMillions

posts 1012

Guys,

I hate to be the messenger here, but the income strategy you use for a new blog doesn't mean shit.  Literally, shit, if you don't have traffic.  If you are looking at a blog with 50 visitors a day, and 2/3 of them are you from your office you will literally not make a dime. 

Focus on your content and revisit this topic after 6 months of blogging. 

7:15 pm
March 1, 2013

Money Soldiers

posts 16

Stick with it long enough and work hard on your blog everyday.  Then you'll see money pouring in.

Money Soldiers

Helping you fight your financial battles

Return to Search Results

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)