You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Return to Search Results

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Akismet is becoming less popular

UserPost

5:07 am
May 16, 2011

Invest It Wisely

posts 2019

I don't know if this is a result of Akismet's horrible "customer service", or the fact that it throws too many legitimate comments in spam, but I am happy to say that I've been seeing MANY blogs start to move away from it and use other solutions. I am happy about that. :)

If you still use Akismet, please note that you are probably alienating at least 10% of your legitimate audience by tossing them into the spam. I recommend you at the very minimum use Conditional Captcha, which offers this 10% a lifeline out yet does not affect your regular users at all.

Thanks!

5:38 am
May 16, 2011

Mike – Saving Money Today

posts 520

I hope you're right!  Many Yakezie bloggers were getting unfairly flagged as spam until I installed Conditional Captcha.  Since then the number of false positives has been dramatically reduced.  Askimet really needs to offer a realistic way to get off their hit-list.  Right now you can write to them, but good luck getting a response.

9:03 am
May 16, 2011

The College Investor

San Diego, CA

Admin

posts 1935

I still use Akismet, but I have it setup so that once you are verified, you are good for life.  I rarely get non-spam tossed in the queue, but I also check the queue regularly so nobody is in there more than a day!

Please check out The College Investor at http://thecollegeinvestor.com!  This is the home of my Investing 101 Class.

Ready to Take Your Blog To The Next Level: http://beatthe9to5.com

You can also follow on Twitter @CollegeInvestin or Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/thecol…..geinvestor!

1:48 am
May 17, 2011

Buy Like Buffett

posts 1682

I still use Akismet too. I think they have been doing a better job lately.

Mark

Learn how to build wealth at Buy Like Buffett.

Learn about making money online at Mark Riddix dot com

Follow me on Twitter

6:08 am
May 17, 2011

Wojo

SW Florida

posts 57

I used to check my Akismet queue but that got really old when I started getting 500+ spams a day. So about 3 months ago I installed Conditional Captcha like you suggest, and it's been working great so far. 

"Wojo" Kulicki

Fiscal Fizzle (site/twitter/facebook)

8:09 am
May 17, 2011

Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter

posts 2213

I use Akismet but I always review my spam folder. If I do this, does that mean I am looking after that 10% or am I still missing them?

Miss T

"Helping you save money, go green, and have fun"

http://www.prairieecothrifter.com

Follow me on Twitter

Like me on Facebook

Subscribe to updates

Email me at prairieecothrifter[at]gmail[dot]com

8:23 am
May 17, 2011

Invest It Wisely

posts 2019

Miss T said:

I use Akismet but I always review my spam folder. If I do this, does that mean I am looking after that 10% or am I still missing them?

You might be. Try installing Conditional Captcha — it complements Akismet so you no longer have to scan your spam folder because only the spambots who can't fill out captchas will end up there.

8:24 am
May 17, 2011

Invest It Wisely

posts 2019

Buy Like Buffett said:

I still use Akismet too. I think they have been doing a better job lately.

For you and the others still using it, please use Conditional Captcha as well. It goes with Akismet but lets people like me enter a captcha, so we don't have to bother you with emails every time we go into the spam. :)

12:09 pm
May 17, 2011

BeatingBroke

North Dakota, USA

posts 860

There is little doubt that Akismet leaves something to be desired, however, I just can't see myself ever using a captcha.  They either have to click a box or type some words which is just one more step where they can give up on commenting and go elsewhere.  I use a plugin called AVH Anti Spam.  It rocks.  It basically works off of a blacklist and if the IP is on a blacklist, they don't even see your comment form.  I still get plenty of comments, and haven't had any complaints yet.  And my spam went down to nearly nothing.

4:13 pm
May 17, 2011

posts 2213

BeatingBroke said:

There is little doubt that Akismet leaves something to be desired, however, I just can't see myself ever using a captcha.  They either have to click a box or type some words which is just one more step where they can give up on commenting and go elsewhere.  I use a plugin called AVH Anti Spam.  It rocks.  It basically works off of a blacklist and if the IP is on a blacklist, they don't even see your comment form.  I still get plenty of comments, and haven't had any complaints yet.  And my spam went down to nearly nothing.

Great, thanks for the tip. I am installing that now.

Miss T

Follow me on Twitter

Like me on Facebook

Subscribe to updates

8:38 pm
May 17, 2011

Sustainable PF

posts 2759

BeatingBroke said:

Visit us at Sustainable Personal Finance

Or Earth and Money

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and RSS!

8:38 pm
May 17, 2011

Sustainable PF

posts 2759

Post edited 8:40 pm – May 17, 2011 by Sustainable PF

Hey BB

You use nothing? I got rid of GASP, briefly, and the spam was nuts.  That was using Askimet and Bad Behaviour

one check box. 

Visit us at Sustainable Personal Finance

Or Earth and Money

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and RSS!

6:03 am
May 18, 2011

Wojo

SW Florida

posts 57

Sustainable PF said:

BeatingBroke said:

I would love to go this route, except: a. What if, like in Akismet's case, someone gets on the blacklist by mistake? and b. The Conditional Captcha is only shown to a tiny minority of my commenters (about 1%).

"Wojo" Kulicki

Fiscal Fizzle (site/twitter/facebook)

6:25 am
May 18, 2011

BeatingBroke

North Dakota, USA

posts 860

Sustainable PF said:

Hey BB

You use nothing? I got rid of GASP, briefly, and the spam was nuts.  That was using Askimet and Bad Behaviour

one check box. 

Not nothing.  The AVH anti spam plugin is a second layer that supplements Akismet.  It's completely transparent to the user.  All they see is a comment box.  Using just Akismet, I was getting over 100 spams in my spam folder each day.  Now, it's a bad week when I get 15.  So far, I haven't seen any reports of false positives.

6:29 am
May 18, 2011

BeatingBroke

North Dakota, USA

posts 860

Wojo said:

Sustainable PF said:

BeatingBroke said:

I would love to go this route, except: a. What if, like in Akismet's case, someone gets on the blacklist by mistake? and b. The Conditional Captcha is only shown to a tiny minority of my commenters (about 1%).

As I noted just above, this is much more robust.  In Akismet's case, it basically just checks to see how many links you have or etc.  In AVH's case, it checks you against a anti-spam blacklist.  http://www.stopforumspam.com/

It's a community effort, so it takes a few reports of spam to get on the list, unlike one wrong click.  On BeatingBroke, I have it combined with another ability to check against a honey pot system (all built in) to help prevent bots too. 

So far, I haven't seen any reports of any false positives, and it's completely transparent to the user.  If they don't match the list, they just see a comment form with a submit button.

9:12 am
May 18, 2011

Eric – PersonalProfitability.com

Portland, OR

posts 2120

I still use it, but I have had conditional CAPTCHA for a long while. It keeps most of my non-spam out of the spam folder.

7:50 am
May 19, 2011

posts 2213

So let me get this straight BB. You still use Akismet but you pair it with AVH?

Miss T

Follow me on Twitter

Like me on Facebook

Subscribe to updates

8:28 am
May 19, 2011

BeatingBroke

North Dakota, USA

posts 860

Miss T said:

So let me get this straight BB. You still use Akismet but you pair it with AVH?

Yes, that is how I currently have it set up.  I could, technically, turn Akismet off if I wanted to (I did for a few days after I installed AVH), but it's like an extra layer of security for anything that gets through the AVH.  Akismet still turns up a few false positives, but when there are only 5 messages in the spam queue, it's very easy to go through it regularly and rescue the occasional false.

8:44 am
May 19, 2011

posts 2213

Ok cool, thanks. I had turned it off once I installed AVH. I will turn it back on.

Miss T

Follow me on Twitter

Like me on Facebook

Subscribe to updates

9:55 am
May 19, 2011

Invest It Wisely

posts 2019

What I personally like when a site uses conditional captcha is that it gives me a way to send my comment. It's very annoying to see your comment just disappear, then have to contact the site owner which is not always possible. Conditional Captcha gives you a way out. I much prefer to have the option to fill out the captcha. :)

This is what I abhor about IntenseDebate because it actually shows your comment as *published* even when it was in fact caught by the spam filter.

It's interesting to share different scenarios though — there is no one-size fits all and I'm happy if people are trying out different solutions and sharing their results!

Return to Search Results

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)