You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Return to Search Results

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

New Website Help

UserPost

2:27 am
August 10, 2011

MoneyforCollegeProject

posts 147

Hi Guys,

So I've been poking around Yakezie for a few days, and I have been awed by how awesome the community is. I have been running a personal finance/money for college blog for some time now and have just gotten serious about making it successful and meaningful. 

So with that in mind, I have bought a new domain name and plan to do the Wordpress install and get it all set up this coming weekend. 

I also plan to join the Yakezie challenge as soon as the new domain is installed, and the new site is ready to go. 

My question is, if you were to start your blog all over again, what things would you do differently?

For a relatively newbie blogger/web entrepreneur, I feel I have a firm grasp on many subjects, but I always want to learn from successful folks such as yourselves. 

My name is STRONGside, and I look forward to hearing back from all of you!

Thanks!

Maximize Your Financial Aid. Learn Personal Finance. Become an Entrepreneur.

Visit my site: Money for College Project

Find us at MfCP on Facebook

6:04 am
August 10, 2011

Tony Chou @ Investorz' Blog

posts 643

I would have started doing some serious guest posting sooner. I take the a guest post a day challenge.

A blog for investors to learn how to invest in the financial markets. Investorz' Blog

Yakezie holiday badge contest. Click

6:46 am
August 10, 2011

Mike – Saving Money Today

posts 520

I would have spent more time planning and mapping out where I wanted to go with it instead of just diving in.  You can always make changes on the fly but it's easier if you can get it right the first time around.

6:58 am
August 10, 2011

MoneyforCollegeProject

posts 147

Mike – Saving Money Today said:

I would have spent more time planning and mapping out where I wanted to go with it instead of just diving in.  You can always make changes on the fly but it's easier if you can get it right the first time around.

@Mike. Thanks! I have been working on developing a clear mission statement for my site. So hopefully I will be able to stay the course (with some course correction if need be).

Thanks again!

6:59 am
August 10, 2011

MoneyforCollegeProject

posts 147

Tony Chou @ Investorz' Blog said:

I would have started doing some serious guest posting sooner. I take the a guest post a day challenge.

@Tony I definitely plan to guest post as often as possible. It's amazing to me to see the results from a guest post. Thanks for the words o wisdom!

7:25 am
August 10, 2011

Tushar @ Everything Finance

Atlanta, GA, United States

posts 386

Its a good thing that you have started with buying your own domain name and using Wordpress with it.

I started off with Blogger nd it was a pain to move everything over to Wordpress.

Like Tony said, Guest Posts are a must. The earlier you get into the better.  And that goes for accepting guest posts as well.

You should also invest in a good Wordpress theme. The 'Thesis' framework is pretty good. I'm sure other Yakezie's will vouch for that.

Tushar @ Everything Finance

Everything Finance

Email:    tusharm at gmail dot com
Twitter:  @AllFinance

7:28 am
August 10, 2011

MoneyforCollegeProject

posts 147

@Tushar Thanks for the great advice. I have definitely been happy with Wordpress so far, and am looking to get my own domain and have access to that side of the control panel. I will definitely consider the Thesis theme, and I have heard many good things about it as well. I know Pat Flynn just wrote a big post about it with some very convincing data to back it up. 

8:00 am
August 10, 2011

MoneyIsTheRoot

posts 1456

I love the results I've gotten in just 6 months of blogging… but I know I couldve gotten here quicker by doing certain things.

1.) Social media – I wouldve started FB and twitter accounts on day 1.  I waited until a few months in, and they really helped push me along.  Not to mention Stumble, Reddit, Digg… I get a decent amount of traffic from these sites.

2.) Blog giveaways – I would start these on the first month as well.  Do something cheap and affordable.  If you setup the giveaway effectively, and you market in the right areas, they can boost your blog traffic indefinitely.

3.) Routinely comment on 5-10 PF sites (Frugal Dad, I will teach you, getrichslowy, and the remaining should be all Yakezie blogs)…help others…guest post…blog swaps…carnivals each and every week!!!!!  Keep up with all that and you will do yourself wonders.

Member Blog:

Money Is The Root

Check me out on Facebook

Challenger Blogs:

Smart Wealth

8:09 am
August 10, 2011

LaTisha @YoungFinances

Admin

posts 1715

I would have definitely bought a domain name with at least one of my keywords in it! lol

It's a much longer road getting ranked with abbreviations and acronyms.

LaTisha 

Young Adult Finances

Most Popular Post: I Have a Confession, I Don't Have a Budget

9:24 am
August 10, 2011

JT_McGee

posts 723

I would have more focus.  As it stands, my blog covers about 4395849035 topics which makes it different, but I can see where it doesn't attract a core audience.  My core audience must be ADD, to say the least.

Also, I would have built up a longer list of timeless topics so as to be able to offer variety all the time.  For example, if I post twice a week, then having 3 posts in a row of the same topic/general theme may make 50% of the audience happy, and 50% feeling left out.  GetRichSlowly is exceptional at making sure their topics are varied enough to work with their daily post frequency.

JT McGee – MoneyMamba

URL: MoneyMamba.com 

Twitter: @JT_McGee

Recent Post: Are We Halfway Through Our Lost Decade? (4 Charts Inside)

10:06 am
August 10, 2011

MoneyforCollegeProject

posts 147

@ Money is the Root. Awesome. What kind of items do you typically give away on your blog? Are there certain items you have found attract more attention?

@FSYA Good idea. I have already bought mine and thankfully, I did include two keywords in the domain!

@Money Mamba Thanks! I'm a little ADD myself so I can see how this would be a temptation. I've also heard about the "timeless topics" and  I think JD does a great job at GRS. Thanks for the insights!

10:55 am
August 10, 2011

MoneyIsTheRoot

posts 1456

MoneyforCollegeProject said:

@ Money is the Root. Awesome. What kind of items do you typically give away on your blog? Are there certain items you have found attract more attention?

@FSYA Good idea. I have already bought mine and thankfully, I did include two keywords in the domain!

@Money Mamba Thanks! I'm a little ADD myself so I can see how this would be a temptation. I've also heard about the "timeless topics" and  I think JD does a great job at GRS. Thanks for the insights!

I typically give away $25 Amazon.com gift cards.  Everyone loves Amazon, they offer everything, I regularly tout online purchasing over brick and mortar stores so it fits with my PF theme.  Not to mention it takes about 2 minutes to send out the gift card to the winner via email.  I can tell you from experience that it works well.  I get about 1,000 article hits on just the giveaway article each time I do one.  Stay tuned for one later today!

Member Blog:

Money Is The Root

Check me out on Facebook

Challenger Blogs:

Smart Wealth

1:40 pm
August 10, 2011

The Financial Blogger

posts 429

I would do a lot more guest posting

take more time to write bigger article with great content at first (like pillar articles)

start connecting with other bloggers on day #1 (I've waited about 6 months before commenting on other blogs!)

10:05 am
August 11, 2011

Eric – PersonalProfitability.com

Portland, OR

posts 2120

Write good content on a schedule, network, and don't get distracted by the little things. Focus on the big picture when you are getting started and iron out the details as you go. You will certainly miss something, but don't let it get you discouraged. Always try to improve as you move forward.

11:24 am
August 11, 2011

MyJourneytoMillions

posts 1012

I wouldn't have worried about monetization as early as I did

7:22 am
August 12, 2011

Forest Parks

Cairo, Egypt

Admin

posts 1337

Interact and build up strong relationships with other bloggers from day one.

Vist me at Frugal Zeitgeist…. Frugal and Sustainable Living for the now…

1:50 pm
August 12, 2011

Buy Like Buffett

posts 1682

I would have networked more and built social media accounts. The first year I had no clue what I was doing!

Mark

Learn how to build wealth at Buy Like Buffett.

Learn about making money online at Mark Riddix dot com

Follow me on Twitter

10:02 pm
August 12, 2011

Khaleef @ KNS Financial

Fat Guy, Skinny Wallet

posts 3149

I would have looked at similar sites and gotten ideas for design (buying the Thesis theme upfront), categories, and phrasing of certain questions and topics. Also, I would have started with Aweber right away and also Market Samurai and Scribe SEO.

I didn't read even 1 article about blogging, and I wasn't following any blogs either, so I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

Khaleef "Fat Guy" Crumbley

My Battle to Lose 100lbs and Pay off $100k in Debt:

http://fatguyskinnywallet.com

http://twitter.com/FGSW

http://www.facebook.com/fatguy…..innywallet

Personal Finance From A Biblical Perspective:

http://knsfinancial.com

http://www.facebook.com/knsfinancial

http://twitter.com/knsfinancial

Return to Search Results

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)