You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Return to Search Results

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Should I Switch from Blogger to another type of blogging service

UserPost

6:48 am
June 29, 2012

Jasaglimbeni

posts 28

Ok guys and girls, after talking to several of my blogging friends I am considering switching to another blogging platform for either my new blog or my existing blog. Sam, the Financial Wiz himself brought up a good point that I should switch because Blogger's platform doesn't really trackback…but even before Sam conversation, I have been thinking of another platform. Here is what I would need for my blog: Ads must be able to be shown with Google adsense, track backs are important also, easy ways to add plug-ins, and I will be buying a domain.

Any help would be much appreciated…understand also that I am not a pro at doing blogs.. so please if you could be specific about the platforms or web sites that will be recommended.

Thank you all,

Joe

7:05 am
June 29, 2012

Dividend Ninja

Vancouver B.C.

posts 198

WordPress hosted on your own domain is the only way to go. You'll get control of your own ads, and be able to choose from thousands of themes and plugins. HostGator is very reasonable in pricing, the best hosting around and comes with WordPress easy install. Voila! ;)

Cheers

The Dividend Ninja
http://www.dividendninja.com

t  f  @

7:21 am
June 29, 2012

Daisy

posts 271

I would DEFINITELY switch to self hosted wordpress. I once upon a time used blogger and it was not great.

Daisy @ When Life Gives You Lemons, Add Vodka
http://add-vodka.com
Twitter: Add_vodka 
Email:
addvodka@gmail.com 

7:49 am
June 29, 2012

MoneyBeagle

posts 1466

I switched from Blogger to Wordpress last December and wish I would have done it way sooner. 

Member Site: Money Beagle

Visit Money Beagle    -    Email    -    Twitter    -   Facebook    -  Google+

8:45 am
June 29, 2012

Jasaglimbeni

posts 28

Dividend Ninja said:

WordPress hosted on your own domain is the only way to go. You'll get control of your own ads, and be able to choose from thousands of themes and plugins. HostGator is very reasonable in pricing, the best hosting around and comes with WordPress easy install. Voila! ;)

Cheers

Ninja, so you went through HostGator first…and then Wordpress.org? Or, should I go through Wordpress.org and then take it from there?

9:06 am
June 29, 2012

seedebtrun

posts 327

GoDaddy has embedded wordpress support and you can get a WP site setup with just a few clicks.

Their tech support is top notch as well..

I am sure that hostgator and other hosting companies offer something similar.

See Debt Run

Follow our journey back to financial sanity

Blog [ http://seedebtrun.com ]

Follow on Twitter [ @seedebtrun ]

Like on Facebook [ seedebtrun ]

10:12 am
June 29, 2012

OneCentAtatime

Florida, USA

posts 1778

Hostgator and Godaddy are best in business. I'd blindly go to either of them. 

Jas, you need to get access to your domain first and then down load WP and upload the files. There are youtube videos for 5 mins wordpress installation detailing every step. Even a caveman can do it. Laugh

SB

One Cent At A Time  (Yakezie Member Site)

http://twitter.com/onlyonecent

onecentatatime@gmail.com

Finance Product Reviews 

https://twitter.com/FPRReviews

11:56 am
June 29, 2012

sooverthis

Kentucky

posts 1041

I have to warn against GoDaddy. Their sites tend to run slower than those on other hosts – they throttle your bandwidth to get you to add various upgrades to your account. Their customer service can be responsive if you get someone who knows what they're doing, but often that isn't the case. They also make it very difficult to move your domain if you want to go to another host. I run a web design business, and I actually charge extra if someone is hosted on GoDaddy because of the extra time and headache involved.

HostGator has been wonderful. After rescuing my domains from GoDaddy (and several of my clients' sites and domains), the difference with HostGator is amazing. I highly recommend them.

Also, if you need any help moving your site, I offer Blogger to self-hosted Wordpress conversions as part of my business. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

2:30 pm
June 29, 2012

Eric – PersonalProfitability.com

Portland, OR

posts 2120

Yes. Got off of blogger today! Here is my resource page for how I run my site: http://narrowbridge.net/resources

4:29 pm
June 29, 2012

WellKeptWallet

posts 207

I also cast a vote to switch to Wordpress. It is so easy to update and is extremely user friendly.

1:30 am
June 30, 2012

jonrhodesuk

UK

posts 277

The real problem with using Blogger is that you don't really own your own blog. You build traffic and links to someone elses network (Googles). I also doubt that anyone would risk buying a Blogger blog from you because of this, so a lucrative exit strategy is probably out the question. Also Google could at any time decide that they are removing your blog, or even start charging for using it. With a self hosted Wordpress blog you have full control over YOUR business. I'm well prepared to pay for this privilege. Smile

Learn Ethical Affiliate Marketing for FREE!

Join my weight loss affiliate program – 75% Com

Hypnosis Affiliate Program – 50% Com + free help selling products

6:36 am
June 30, 2012

The Frugal Toad

posts 587

I would echo what others have said.  Hostgator and wordpress is a great combination.

If you need help in migrating to a new host or help in setting up your new blog, I run a site called Bloggers Classifieds that you will want to check out.  Many Yakezie members advertise their services there!

Under the resource section you will find a comparison of the major hosting services and their latest fees.

Paul

The Frugal Toad

Money Saving Advice for Everyday Living

RSS   Facebook  Twitter

Bloggers Classifieds – Advertise or Find Blogging Services for Free

8:40 am
June 30, 2012

Dividend Ninja

Vancouver B.C.

posts 198

Sooverdebt is correct! GoDaddy is bad news… During my web business days, those hosting on GoDaddy had some slower load times, poor support, and an infinitum of other techincal glitches. We ended up moving them to other hosting providers.

HostGator and BlueHost are the best in the business. I would recommend HostGator unconditionally.

The Dividend Ninja
http://www.dividendninja.com

t  f  @

7:37 am
July 1, 2012

lifeandexperiences

posts 32

Definitely Wordpress.. Smile

3:11 pm
July 11, 2012

Jasaglimbeni

posts 28

I want to thank all of the members for the help on whether I should switch, I have not made a decision yet on my existing blog, but I am considering moving to BlueHost or HostGator for a project that I may be working on with a friend. I am sure when I approach them I will have more questions for you guys.

Thanks,

Joe

8:56 am
July 13, 2012

Eric – PersonalProfitability.com

Portland, OR

posts 2120

If you go with Hostgator, you can use coupon code YAKEZIEBLOG for a discount.

7:11 pm
July 15, 2012

mbhunter

posts 198

Post edited 7:12 pm – July 15, 2012 by mbhunter

Short answer:  yes.

I switched about two weeks after I started my blog on blogger, and haven't regretted it for a microsecond.

Wordpress has gotten easier and easier to use over the past seven years.

Mighty Bargain Hunter — blogging on personal finance since 2005

Get money-saving tips with the newsletter!

Also follow me on Twitter and like me on Facebook!

Return to Search Results

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)