You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Return to Search Results

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Wordpress Theme advice

UserPost

3:48 am
December 17, 2013

finetunefinances

posts 33

Hi Guys, 

Thinking of changing my theme soon and was wondering if anyone knows of, recommends or has general advice on Wordpress themes. 

What theme would you recommend paid/free not fussed… if it's paid I can "minimalise" my tax over here. 

Does anyone know of any amazing developers who can whip one up from scratch?? 

The key for me is simplicity and the ability to add a banner to the site, have a customisable sidebar and generally won't break down if I publish images, embed youtube clips etc. 

Any advice would be super!!! 

Fine Tune Your Finances

From Zimbabwe to the UK, anyone can Fine Tune their finances

finetunefinances@gmail.com

@finetunefinance

3:50 pm
December 17, 2013

frugaling

posts 139

I use Mesocolumn. It's free, frugal, and has plenty of features. Terrific designer, too!

8:07 pm
December 17, 2013

bryce

posts 40

I wanted to have a theme that could automatically change based on the size of the display device, so I just used the default twenty-thirteen theme and made a few small edits to the header.php and footer.php, as well as added some secondary widgets that show up in the right sidebar. I guess I also tweaked the style.css a little bit to go with my header.php mods, as well as made the blockquote text size smaller. The changes overall were pretty minor.

2:51 am
December 18, 2013

finetunefinances

posts 33

frugaling said:

I use Mesocolumn. It's free, frugal, and has plenty of features. Terrific designer, too!

That's awesome, thanks for that! Do you need any developer experience at all? 

Fine Tune Your Finances

@finetunefinance

5:15 am
December 18, 2013

Derek@LifeAndMyFinances

posts 1298

I use Atahualpa. It's free and you can do almost anything with it. It can be a bit complex, but because it's so widely used there is plenty of help out there on Google. :)

Derek @ Life And My Finances 

Twitter: http://twitter.com/LAMFinances

Email: derek@lifeandmyfinances.com

8:14 am
December 18, 2013

My Personal Finance Journey

posts 3159

I switched from Blogger to Wordpress back in June of this year, and went with the paid Genesis framework with the News child theme. Overall, I've been very satisfied. 

Even though it's a paid theme, it's only a 1-time payment, and I feel like I've earned it back several times over. 

When deciding on themes, I was between Atahualpa as a free theme and Genesis for the paid. Ultimately, I went with Genesis since it was a little simpler to set up and had some added SEO functionality built in. 

Jacob @ My Personal Finance Journey

Visit me at My Personal Finance Journey

Email me jacob@mypersonalfinancejourney.com

Be my Facebook Friend, Follow my journey on Twitter

8:47 am
December 18, 2013

The College Investor

San Diego, CA

Admin

posts 1935

Genesis is the way to go.

Please check out The College Investor at http://thecollegeinvestor.com!  This is the home of my Investing 101 Class.

Ready to Take Your Blog To The Next Level: http://beatthe9to5.com

You can also follow on Twitter @CollegeInvestin or Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/thecol…..geinvestor!

11:49 am
December 18, 2013

MyJourneytoMillions

posts 1012

Use headway – drag and drop its fantastic.

10:32 am
December 19, 2013

moneycone

posts 617

Another vote for Atahualpa.  Highly customizable.  

11:44 am
December 29, 2013

Eric – PersonalProfitability.com

Portland, OR

posts 2120

I wouldn't use anything but Genesis. (affiliate)

I do custom designs for people and only use Genesis.

12:41 pm
January 1, 2014

Untemplater

posts 400

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Thesis. Is it not popular anymore? It's what I use on mine and a fair amount of other sites use it as well.  

Sydney at Untemplater

Blog: http://untemplater.com

Twitter: @untemplater  @syduntemplater

Facebook: Like Untemplater's Page  Friend Sydney

Work where you want…Live how you want…Be who you want to be

2:44 pm
January 3, 2014

Portland, OR

posts 2120

I dumped Thesis a while back. One of the best blogging decisions I've made over the last year or so.

12:03 am
January 6, 2014

Untemplater

posts 400

Yeah I did some reading and definitely seems like Thesis has lost its luster. I'd like to switch over to Genesis this year or next if I can save some money for a site redesign. I need to focus on keeping up my content and building traffic for now.

Sydney at Untemplater

6:38 am
January 6, 2014

WellKeptWallet

posts 207

I use Elegant Themes for multiple sites because it is $39 but you get access to close to hundred themes and they look great! If you end up going with them, let me know and I would be glad to help you set up the theme.

8:25 am
January 6, 2014

Funancials

posts 345

Untemplater said:

Yeah I did some reading and definitely seems like Thesis has lost its luster. I'd like to switch over to Genesis this year or next if I can save some money for a site redesign. I need to focus on keeping up my content and building traffic for now.

I use Thesis as well and have had no issues with it. But, as you said, I understand that the updates received a negative reception. 

It was cool to see Untemplater highlighted as one best designed blogs in the Thesis gallery.

Name: Hunter (aka A. Blinkin)

twitter: @funancials

email: funancials@gmail.com

3:04 pm
January 6, 2014

finetunefinances

posts 33

Genisis sounds great!! Is it possible to choose your own colours and is it also easy to add your own logo/banner on top? 

Cheers 

Mary

Fine Tune Your Finances

@finetunefinance

3:05 pm
January 6, 2014

finetunefinances

posts 33

WellKeptWallet said:

I use Elegant Themes for multiple sites because it is $39 but you get access to close to hundred themes and they look great! If you end up going with them, let me know and I would be glad to help you set up the theme.

That's great, is Elegant Themes really Easy to use as well??? Can you change colours easy enough and can you add banners/ logos on the top? 

Fine Tune Your Finances

@finetunefinance

3:18 pm
January 6, 2014

Portland, OR

posts 2120

finetunefinances said:

Genisis sounds great!! Is it possible to choose your own colours and is it also easy to add your own logo/banner on top? 

Cheers 

Mary

You should be able to do that with any theme. Genesis has different child themes, each with different options (and level of difficulty) to edit the style and header.

9:05 pm
January 6, 2014

Untemplater

posts 400

Funancials said:

Untemplater said:

I use Thesis as well and have had no issues with it. But, as you said, I understand that the updates received a negative reception. 

It was cool to see Untemplater highlighted as one best designed blogs in the Thesis gallery.

Really?!? Omg you're right – I just went to their website. Lol I had no idea!! Ha, that's cool! :)

Sydney at Untemplater

7:35 pm
February 20, 2014

johnhschroeder

posts 2

I still highly recommend Thesis, but can see why some don't like it. I really like the responsive design that comes with it which allows your site to adjust to different devices.

Return to Search Results

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)