You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Return to Search Results

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Major Technical Problems With a Domain Transfer

UserPost

7:28 pm
July 28, 2013

Roger the Amateur Financier

Northwestern Pennsylvania

posts 97

Hello, there.  This is Roger of The Amateur Financier.  I've spent the past half week or so with my site down (or not technically down, per se; if you click on the link, you'll see that it brings up an archived version of my site, dating back to January, when appropriately enough, I was having similar technical issues and wrote an article entitled 'Technical Problems').  I'm hoping I can get some help rectifying the matter, or at least, some thoughts on how to recover my traffic and readers when I finally get things up and running again.

The short version is that I have been trying to change my domain registrar from DreamHost to HostGator (my current webhost).  It took a little while to get things going, due to some incorrect information on the DreamHost files, and in the process of correcting that information and getting the transfer started, things went terribly awry.  As best as I can follow what happened, the nameservers on DreamHost reverted from the HostGator nameservers I had listed to the initial DreamHost nameservers.  I have been playing email tag with help desks at both companies, and have attempted to change the nameservers back, but due to the domain transfer (or something of that nature), I need to change the IP address at DreamHost to point to the IP address for HostGator, all of which has been proving tricky.  (The fact that I am almost completely clueless about all of this, and didn't even know the term 'nameserver' prior to handling all these issues, doesn't help matters.)

So, any suggestions about how to handle this issue?  I've been spending a pretty sizable chunk of the last four days trying to resolve matters, and still haven't managed to rectify things.  Being able to get my blog back up and running would be wonderful. (Granted, with the domain transfer scheduled to be complete in five to seven days, it's possible that everything will be in HostGator's court by this time tomorrow and I'll be able to get things resolved easily; still, knowing how to handle things should the transfer take a while longer, or if I'm ever crazy enough to do another domain transfer, would be great.)

Come check out The Amateur Financier

Follow me on Twitter:@amateurfinance

Or drop an email: theamateurfinancier@gmail.com

5:11 am
July 29, 2013

My Personal Finance Journey

posts 3159

Sorry to hear about all the trouble. Like you, I'm no expert when it comes to this technical stuff. However, in my experience transferring from Blogger to Hostgator in June, if you email (not phone call) the Hostgator help desk, they are very quick to respond and can take care of a surprising number of things.

Jacob @ My Personal Finance Journey

Visit me at My Personal Finance Journey

Email me jacob@mypersonalfinancejourney.com

Be my Facebook Friend, Follow my journey on Twitter

6:30 am
July 29, 2013

MoneyIsTheRoot

posts 1456

Roger the Amateur Financier said:

Hello, there.  This is Roger of The Amateur Financier.  I've spent the past half week or so with my site down (or not technically down, per se; if you click on the link, you'll see that it brings up an archived version of my site, dating back to January, when appropriately enough, I was having similar technical issues and wrote an article entitled 'Technical Problems').  I'm hoping I can get some help rectifying the matter, or at least, some thoughts on how to recover my traffic and readers when I finally get things up and running again.

The short version is that I have been trying to change my domain registrar from DreamHost to HostGator (my current webhost).  It took a little while to get things going, due to some incorrect information on the DreamHost files, and in the process of correcting that information and getting the transfer started, things went terribly awry.  As best as I can follow what happened, the nameservers on DreamHost reverted from the HostGator nameservers I had listed to the initial DreamHost nameservers.  I have been playing email tag with help desks at both companies, and have attempted to change the nameservers back, but due to the domain transfer (or something of that nature), I need to change the IP address at DreamHost to point to the IP address for HostGator, all of which has been proving tricky.  (The fact that I am almost completely clueless about all of this, and didn't even know the term 'nameserver' prior to handling all these issues, doesn't help matters.)

So, any suggestions about how to handle this issue?  I've been spending a pretty sizable chunk of the last four days trying to resolve matters, and still haven't managed to rectify things.  Being able to get my blog back up and running would be wonderful. (Granted, with the domain transfer scheduled to be complete in five to seven days, it's possible that everything will be in HostGator's court by this time tomorrow and I'll be able to get things resolved easily; still, knowing how to handle things should the transfer take a while longer, or if I'm ever crazy enough to do another domain transfer, would be great.)

I would use Andrea Whitmer at Nuts and Bolts Media (also from So Over Debt)… not sure if this is her area of expertise or not, but I find most things are, so I would shoot her an email.

Member Blog:

Money Is The Root

Check me out on Facebook

Challenger Blogs:

Smart Wealth

11:07 am
July 30, 2013

Eric – PersonalProfitability.com

Portland, OR

posts 2120

Did you save a backup before you started migrating? If so, it is easy to restore to that version.

11:58 am
July 31, 2013

Pauline

posts 274

I think hostgator has a 30 days migration policy where they would help you. I hired mine out on Fiverr for $5 and the guy did a great job.

Pauline @ Reach Financial Independence

Yakezie Member Site: 

Reach Financial Independence 

Email:  tdmpauline *at* gmail *dot* com

I am also on Twitter and Facebook

7:32 pm
August 9, 2013

posts 97

Thanks for all the help and support, everyone.  I was able to get everything resolved (although my blog's still not running at top speed).  I will have to look into getting more help when I next need to do anything this technically involved, and I appreciate the suggestions that you provided.  If nothing else, it'll be a good reminder of how quickly things can go wrong (and how important backups can be, as you noted, Eric).  Thanks again, and hopefully I won't have to ask any questions like this again.

7:38 pm
August 9, 2013

saverocity

posts 88

Your site is still in trouble – I just clicked a number of links and they all come back with a blank.. 

12:15 pm
August 22, 2013

posts 97

saverocity said:

Your site is still in trouble – I just clicked a number of links and they all come back with a blank.. 

Hunh, I don't know what you're seeing; I haven't had anything like that happen that I've noticed.  My site has been running incredibly slowly, but that's something I've been working on.  (Albeit, with little success, but that is an unrelated issue, I believe).

Return to Search Results

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)