You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Return to Search Results

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Was College Worth It?

UserPost

1:16 pm
January 30, 2012

theycallmecheap

Washington, D.C.

posts 77

I'm working on a blog post that details how to get a good return on your college investment. (I'm still working on a snappy title.) 

I am NOT a fan of student loan debt. And I think the United States' focus on sending everyone to a 4-year university is misguided. However, a bachelors or advanced degree does pay off handsomely for some people. It did for me. 

So, I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me what you did to make your college degree a worthwhile investment. If you went to a community college even better. And if you think going to college was one of the worst decisions you ever made, I'd like to hear that too.

Thanks in advance for your help! 

Shawanda Greene

Blog: YouHaveMoreThanYouThink.org – "A reality check to financial freedom."

Twitter: @TheyCallMeCheap

Email: TheyCallMeCheap@gmail.com 

1:37 pm
January 30, 2012

jaicatalano

New York

posts 846

I graduated collage with a psychology and human communications degree.

I became a dancer/actor/commentator/photographer.

I could have saved 20kCool

1:49 pm
January 30, 2012

Eric – PersonalProfitability.com

Portland, OR

posts 2120

I would not be where I am today with my career without my education. Both undergrad and my MBA paid off big. My current job came to me through networking with a fellow MBA student. There is certainly a measurable ROI.

2:30 pm
January 30, 2012

Squirrelers

posts 986

Going to undergrad and graduate school paying in-state tuition was important in making the ROI good. Personally, I do think that getting an undergrad degree is essential, and strategically choosing where to go is vital. Those who blindly go by rankings and pay less attention to loans and debt burdens might be shortchanging themselves immensely.

Ray

Member Site: Squirrelers

Challenger Site: Tie the Money Knot

Email: admin@squirrelers.com

4:39 pm
January 30, 2012

Poor Student

Mount Forest, Ontario

posts 72

i am in my first year of university (Wilfrid Laurier). I have second thoughts everyday. I do plan on using my kinesiology degree to go to a physiotherapy graduate program, so right now I am staring at the horizon. I question it though because I know friends who are working right now making a good income (one is 18 and making $40,000) and making a half decent income, or any, right now is appealing when I am doing tons of unpaid schoolwork. But I guess it has only been about 6 months so I am still on the fence about the whole thing.

6:37 pm
January 30, 2012

One Frugal Girl

posts 34

I learned very little from the classes I took throughout college. The one thing I did gain was experience through a plethora of internships. I had three that paid me and provided credit while I was in school. When I graduated employers checked off the 'has a degree' category while looking through my resume, but it was the internships that gave me something to discuss in the interviews and ultimately led to better paying job options after I graduated.

Visit my site: One Frugal Girl

Email me: onefrugalgirl@gmail.com

Follow me on Twitter: @OneFrugalGirl

7:40 pm
January 30, 2012

Daisy

posts 271

Well, I haven't graduated yet. I'm a firm believer in post secondary education, because I believe it has a huge ROI just in self confidence, knowledge, and even self awareness. 

However, I doubt it won't be worth it when I do grad. I have already made substantially more just in my internships than I would have if I wasn't in school – I would imagine I'd at least maintain the same salary as I am in my internship, but probably thousands annually more. 

So I'd say its 110% worth it :) 

Daisy @ When Life Gives You Lemons, Add Vodka
http://add-vodka.com
Twitter: Add_vodka 
Email:
addvodka@gmail.com 

3:53 am
January 31, 2012

cbhattarai

posts 10

In India there is no issue like this. We have already given a note that you would be refunded soem % of amount after the end of COllege.

8:43 am
January 31, 2012

PK @ DQYDJ

The Intersection of Politics, Economics and Personal Finance.

posts 361

I'm happy with how my degree set me up in my current career.  My school was expensive, but I had a hefty scholarship to take the edge off, and I worked paid internships every summer to defray my costs more. 

I wrote a series of articles about majors and their payoff, if you're inclined to read something.  From a ROI perspective, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) is likely your best payoff from a four year school.

Don't Quit Your Day Job…

http://dqydj.net or http://yourdayjob.net

Follow us at @dqydj_net on Twitter and connect with us on Facebook.

9:21 am
January 31, 2012

Smart Wealth

Michigan

posts 304

I think for me it was worth it to get my bachelors in mechanical engineer, as I am using it everyday at my job.  However a few years ago I decided to go back and get my MBA.  I have not used it, nor do I know if I will ever use it.  I hope I do at some point but the only way for me to use both is to become a manager.  If I use it, then I will not think it was a waste of time and money, right now I think it was not worth it.

Evan @ Smartwealth.org

"Right before you do something stupid, do the opposite!"

Follow me on Twitter

Like me on Facebook

9:23 am
January 31, 2012

Michelle (Making Sense of Cents)

posts 400

College was definitely worth it for me. I'm not working on my MBA and should be done soon. I did graduate with debt, but I wouldn't be where I am now without it.

Also, I took summer classes at the community college and saved a ton of money!

1:19 pm
January 31, 2012

Modest Money

posts 256

For me, I'd say my 2 years at college was well worth it.  I took a 2 year computer science diploma program that gave me a wide range of computer knowledge.  It helped me get my foot in the door with my internet marketing career.  Also those skills helped tremendously with setting up my own websites and my new blog.

Check out my finance blog: Modest Money 

Alexa ranking from 22M to under 70k in 3 months

Let's help each other on social media!  Twitter | Facebook | Google+

1:25 pm
January 31, 2012

Michelle (Making Sense of Cents)

posts 400

Michelle (Making Sense of Cents) said:

College was definitely worth it for me. I'm not working on my MBA and should be done soon. I did graduate with debt, but I wouldn't be where I am now without it.

Also, I took summer classes at the community college and saved a ton of money!

I meant to say that "I'm NOW working on my MBA" haha sorry!

12:38 am
February 1, 2012

JT_McGee

posts 723

Haven't graduated yet but in my case I need a 4-year degree for a certification that is definitely worth it. So, with the understanding that I can't go from A to C without B (college), then I guess it's not only worth it but a necessity.

JT McGee – MoneyMamba

URL: MoneyMamba.com 

Twitter: @JT_McGee

Recent Post: Are We Halfway Through Our Lost Decade? (4 Charts Inside)

5:35 am
February 1, 2012

sooverthis

Kentucky

posts 1041

I struggle a lot with feeling that college and grad school were a waste of time. I've wanted to write for as long as I can remember, but I wouldn't major in English because I was determined to be employable. $50k in student debt later, I just left a career where I *might* have eventually earned $65k a year, mainly because the stress wasn't worth it. 

I do think I learned a lot about myself, critical thinking, and collaborating with others while I was in school. I just wish I had learned those lessons much cheaper!

9:14 am
February 1, 2012

Smart Wealth

Michigan

posts 304

sooverdebt said:

I struggle a lot with feeling that college and grad school were a waste of time. I've wanted to write for as long as I can remember, but I wouldn't major in English because I was determined to be employable. $50k in student debt later, I just left a career where I *might* have eventually earned $65k a year, mainly because the stress wasn't worth it. 

I do think I learned a lot about myself, critical thinking, and collaborating with others while I was in school. I just wish I had learned those lessons much cheaper!

That is definitely tough to learn a lesson like that the hard way.  I knew people who went to school and became engineers, then realized it wasn't for them and they hated it, went back and did something else.  In a way it is not a waste because you still have your education, but it is also a waste that you have to pay back 10s of thousands of dollars for a degree you won't use

Evan @ Smartwealth.org

"Right before you do something stupid, do the opposite!"

Follow me on Twitter

Like me on Facebook

5:43 pm
February 6, 2012

Shannyn @FrugalBeautiful.com

Chicago, IL

posts 261

As I sit in a pointless graduate class at a University I was vastly disappointed in for a MA in sociology- yes and no.  College made me who I am, but it was more of the experience than the classes.  It motivated me, pushed me out of the California bubble and gave me some grit…but I also am not $100k in debt.  

Several of my friends are over $100k in debt for a MA degree at "good" universities and are struggling to get hired.  Is that education worth paying it off until you retire? HELL NO.  

In Gratitude,

Shannyn  

Frugalbeautiful.com +  TheFrugalpreneur.com

NEW:  Frugalpreneur on Twitter

7:11 pm
February 6, 2012

Marissa

posts 385

I'm still torn on this. I have a BA in Biology and as many minors and that I could cram into my 4 years. Then, still not knowing or liking what I had studied, I decided to get my MSc. Next, being overqualified for any entry level positions in that field, I attempted to get my PHd- all while working in a field is the not relevant to my education.

The ironic part is that I have been able to move up within my current company because I put the work in, not because of what I studied. My student debt is a great reminder that someone might appreciate me being to school. Its not me.

-Marissa

PF Blog: Thirtysixmonths.com  Finance Triggers

Lifestyle/Fashion Chic Darling

Reach me: Marissa @ Thirtysixmonths.com

4:49 am
February 7, 2012

Invest It Wisely

posts 2019

Yes and no. I wrote this post a while ago: http://www.investitwisely.com/…..e-of-time/

8:54 am
February 7, 2012

TightFistedMiser

posts 361

I started college when I was 17 and didn't get my degree until I was 34.  Taking that long kept me from having to go into debt for college but it wasted a lot of time. College was probably worth the modest expense but not the time.

Law school on the other hand was definitely not worth it.

Return to Search Results

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)