You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Return to Search Results

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Do You Ever Face Blogger Burnout?

UserPost

8:19 am
October 12, 2011

Funancials

posts 345

Hey all-

I just wrote a post about what-I-call "blogger burnout." I spend 99% of my day thinking about money/finance and it's taking it's toll on me. Do you all have any good tips to get you through the challenges of writer's block/burnout/thinking too much about your blog and money?

Thanks,

Name: Hunter (aka A. Blinkin)

twitter: @funancials

email: funancials@gmail.com

8:28 am
October 12, 2011

BeatingBroke

North Dakota, USA

posts 860

I suffer from it all the time.  The only thing that has helped me, that I've found, is to just take a break.  I'll usually just disconnect from it all for a weekend and do nothing related to internet. 

12:04 pm
October 12, 2011

Jeff @ Sustainable Life Blog

posts 964

I sometimes feel like I'm not coming up with good enough ideas and what BB says does help.  Get out from in front of the monitor.  Talk to people.  Dont badger them about their checkbook, but money is just as much about what people say in casual conversation as what they spend.

take tips form that.

Jeff 

Sustainable Life Blog 

http://www.sustainablelifeblog.com

twitter.com/sustainlifeblog

1:28 pm
October 12, 2011

retireby40

USA

posts 1381

left a comment. Hope you can push through it. Take it easy for a while and build up more ideas.

Don't quit! Laugh

retire by 40

Twitter: @retirebyforty

Facebook: Retire By 40 

1:31 pm
October 12, 2011

Barbara Friedberg

posts 1302

I always remind myself that blogging is not a job but a hobby with some side cash (hopefully). Don't get swept away by the full time bloggers if that's not your goal. And remember, any goal worth having takes quite a bit of time to master!

2:25 pm
October 12, 2011

MoneyIsTheRoot

posts 1456

I don't keep a strict posting schedule… this way, I post as I feel like it… puts a lot less pressure on me.  My blog has still seen growth and I would consider it mildly successful so far, so it doesn't seem to be hurting me either.

Member Blog:

Money Is The Root

Check me out on Facebook

Challenger Blogs:

Smart Wealth

2:41 pm
October 12, 2011

Tony Chou @ Investorz' Blog

posts 643

I keep a strict rule that forces me to divert my attention. I only allow myself to check comments once a day (at the end of the day), check stats once a week, and write posts for a total of 3-7 hours on Monday and Thursday night.

A blog for investors to learn how to invest in the financial markets. Investorz' Blog

Yakezie holiday badge contest. Click

2:45 pm
October 12, 2011

Tony Chou @ Investorz' Blog

posts 643

Barb Friedberg said:

I always remind myself that blogging is not a job but a hobby with some side cash (hopefully). Don't get swept away by the full time bloggers if that's not your goal. And remember, any goal worth having takes quite a bit of time to master!

Very true. Setting a goal when bloggig is important. If you're just doing it as a hobby, don't think about it all the time! Relax! And if your blog's numbers aren't as good as the ones of full time bloggers, don't worry about it! It's natural.

A blog for investors to learn how to invest in the financial markets. Investorz' Blog

Yakezie holiday badge contest. Click

2:58 pm
October 12, 2011

everydaytips

Detroit Area

posts 455

You could do blog related activities twenty four hours a day if you wanted to, there is so much to do. Myself, I just have to close the computer and call it a day. I used to pressure myself to post every day, but not anymore. I am going back to the roots of why I started writing and write because I want to.

A break does wonders, as mentioned above. Oh another thing, I used to obsess more when my alexa ranking was moving daily and I could see how my effort had a direct effect on results. Now I dont even know what my ranking is and I dont pressure myself so much.

Kris @ Everyday Tips and Thoughts

Visit me at Everyday Tips and Thoughts

Follow Me On Twitter: Edaytipsthought

Be My Facebook Friend: Everyday Tips

2:59 pm
October 12, 2011

everydaytips

Detroit Area

posts 455

You could do blog related activities twenty four hours a day if you wanted to, there is so much to do. Myself, I just have to close the computer and call it a day. I used to pressure myself to post every day, but not anymore. I am going back to the roots of why I started writing and write because I want to.

A break does wonders, as mentioned above. Oh another thing, I used to obsess more when my alexa ranking was moving daily and I could see how my effort had a direct effect on results. Now I dont even know what my ranking is and I dont pressure myself so much.

Kris @ Everyday Tips and Thoughts

Visit me at Everyday Tips and Thoughts

Follow Me On Twitter: Edaytipsthought

Be My Facebook Friend: Everyday Tips

3:16 pm
October 12, 2011

krantcents

posts 909

Changing things up helped me reinvent myself.  I also try to stay a couple weeks ahead with my articles, just in case I do not feel like writing for a few days.  I think circumstances are affecting you more than burnout.  I know I would have trouble writing afte a 12 hour day too. Good Luck.

krantcents  – Making Sense of Money

Fan Page:  http://www.facebook.com/krantcents

Follow me onTwitter:  @krantcents

RSS feed: krantcents

4:01 pm
October 12, 2011

Funancials

posts 345

I appreciate all the tips here. At this point, I'm not contemplating quitting – just spending a week away from finance. I'll still post a few interesting articles.

Name: Hunter (aka A. Blinkin)

twitter: @funancials

email: funancials@gmail.com

4:22 pm
October 12, 2011

Dr Dean

posts 241

My thoughts as someone who has been blogging for two years:

• Find your rhythm.  I post 3-4x/wk with one weekly personal finance link post (Friday Follies-anyone can email me a post URL if you want to be included) and a bi-weekly nurse blog link post.
  • Keep a journal handy-write down thoughts.  I open a Word press post window and copy/paste idea urls from other blogs, or the financial world so I don't forget.
  • Variety-sometimes write about your dog, cat or whatever strikes your fancy-your readers will appreciate the break too.
  • Try trading posts with another PF blogger-  for variety.
  • Conference-Fincon11 gave me great new energy.
  • Remember you have new readers all the time, go back to early posts and repackage or discuss what has changed since your wrote that article last year.

Good luck.  (and all the time off suggestions are great too!)

Dr Dean, The Millionaire Nurse Blog @DrDeanBurke

5:52 pm
October 12, 2011

FamilyMoneyValues

posts 812

I take a break every day at sunset – with a glass of wine, and try to get outside several times a day.  Still, all the monitor work seems to be affecting my eyesight -or maybe it's just age :)

FamilyMoneyValues
Blog: http:blog.familymoneyvalues.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Family…..neyValues/  

9:21 pm
October 12, 2011

sooverthis

Kentucky

posts 1041

Post edited 9:24 pm – October 12, 2011 by sooverdebt

I haven't dealt with horrible burnout yet (still a noob though – I've only been blogging for 9 months), but I've had a few moments where I just didn't want to deal with my blog for awhile. So I didn't. Or I posted something *I* wanted to post instead of worrying about whether it was strictly finance related. Funny enough, the random posts usually get a larger response than the ones where I actually try to make a point!

One of my favorite (non-PF) blogs is only updated a few times a month. I don't lose interest because when the guy DOES post, his stuff blows me away. So I try to remember that if I'm feeling stressed – I have a sort-of posting schedule, but I don't post if I don't have something to say. The readers won't disappear, I promise!

Edited to add: I read your post AFTER I responded, so I'm laughing a little. I think posting random things is a great idea, obviously. :)

3:16 am
October 13, 2011

Dana

posts 633

I think you've received some great suggestions.  As for myself, I've dealt with burnout quite a few times as I've been blogging at my site for over 5 years!  I've learned to notice my own burnout signs and when I see them I know I need to step back and take a break for a day or two (or even a week or more).  Hiring a staff writer or ghost writer can help too. Setting limits has worked well – there are only so many hours in a day and I know I can't get to everything so some things have to wait…

Dana 

Site:      
Gmail:   
Twitter:  

6:09 am
October 13, 2011

Hunter @financiallyc

Virginia Beach

posts 707

I regularly feel burn-out. Like Andrea @SOOD the posts written when I can't stand to produce anothe PF article are by far the most popular. She Is The Man Now, & Velo Frugal Or Velo Cheap blew my stat counter, fun to write and hopefully read, but they won't help anyone budget more successfully. I'm trying to learn from these anomalies.

Create a partnership, the added accountability will enthuse and keep you rolling.

9:22 am
October 13, 2011

Cash Flow Mantra

posts 66

I find that getting away from the internet totally is a good way to come back refreshed.  No internet access on our recent cruise helped.  I will be spending 10 days in Honduras on a mission trip with limited access to any communication during which time I won't be thinking about blogging.  I will probably be planning other times away during the winter and not even look online.  This always seems to help.

I write as Kidgas, Cash Flow Mantra, and Options Dude.

My main focus is:  Cash Flow Mantra and Grand Per Month.  Please feel free to subscribe.

9:03 am
October 14, 2011

Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter

posts 2213

Barb Friedberg said:

Agreed. I too faced blogging burn out and had to make some changes. I was almost on that road again but I have stopped myself and said, I will do what I can when I can. Everyone here will give you the benefit of the doubt, so don't feel any pressure from here to fit a certain mold.

Miss T

"Helping you save money, go green, and have fun"

http://www.prairieecothrifter.com

Follow me on Twitter

Like me on Facebook

Subscribe to updates

Email me at prairieecothrifter[at]gmail[dot]com

11:38 am
October 14, 2011

20s Finances

Admin

posts 1147

Everyone has offered some great advice.

As a newbie still, I personally avoid burnout by staying so far ahead. I spent a weekend of serious work a few weeks ago (just after starting) to get several weeks ahead in my writing. Now, I don't ever have the pressure of having to post anything if I don't feel inspired. I love writing and so I will often stay up an extra half hour if I feel inspired. Otherwise, I just rest easy knowing that I have about 3 weeks of cushion. Some times it may go down to only two weeks in queue, but others it may be up to 4 weeks. I would like to build this up over time so that I can start a second blog and feel comfortable with not getting overwhelmed (on something still to be determined), but I am going to wait a while before doing that.

Hope my rambling helps… at least a little.

Corey

20's Finances Passive Income to Retire

Follow Me on Twitter Like 20's Finances at Facebook

Subscribe to Email Updates

20sfinances *at* gmail *dot* com

Return to Search Results

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)