You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Return to Search Results

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Yakezie Member Post-Straight Talk on Debt

UserPost

6:20 am
October 15, 2010

Straight Talk on Debt

posts 1

Post edited 6:31 am – October 15, 2010 by Straight Talk on Debt

My name is Suzanne and I blog and work for CareOne Debt Relief Services. I am not a personal finance expert unless you count the years I have spent managing my family’s finances. I have a BS in Business Administration from Pennsylvania State University, but have learned much of what I know about personal finance from the school of hard knocks, life. I have suffered through student loans, countless negative equity situations with cars, bad real estate investments, and a divorce.  

My parents instilled in me the value of hard work and responsibility and for that I will be forever grateful. No matter what financial challenges I faced over the years, I knew I could always work harder, spend less, and make my dollar go farther by being frugal. I am now the mother of a seven year old boy who I wish to give the world, but plan to raise in the manner I was; anything worth having is worth working for. As a mother I often write about raising financially fit kids; it is something I am passionate about. I want to see future generations live without the burden of debt and (practice fiscal responsibility) dose of reality. 

I started working with CareOne in July 2007 as a Certified Credit Counselor. I went through extensive training and testing to be certified and able to help others find the right solution for managing their debt. I spent two years working with people who had been overwhelmed with credit card debt and were at their wits end with high interest rates and fees. I found there was more to personal finance than I ever knew possible.  Working with those who are struggling with debt has been humbling; everyone has a story of how they got there. Some people have dealt with horrible life experiences such as illness or medical emergencies, which led them to debt. Others suffered a sudden loss and some, well, they just lived beyond their means and it caught up to them. 

I continue to work with our customers through the CareOne Community. I provide answers to their questions and offer resources and support. In addition to my role as an Expert I am also a very active blogger. I am a contributing writer for Straight Talk on Debt, which features timely information on the debt relief industry and tips and tricks for staying debt free. I also write for a blog entitled Divorce, Debt, and Finances where I share tips for dealing with your finances and a divorce. We welcome guest posts on our site at any time, as we strive to provide the best information and resources possible to our community members.

I hope that by joining Yakezie Challenge I can learn from all of you to better assist others dealing with their debt.  

11:55 am
November 27, 2010

Sunil from The Extra Money Blog

posts 362

Suzanne,

Hi there – nice blog.  Much needed information for a debt ridden society.   You should consider creating a signature with a link to your blog.  It took me sometime to get there indirectly.  A link is more accessible and helps us readers get to it in a jiffy

The Extra Money Blog– Expedited Wealth Building Through Multiple Streams of Active & Passive Income (Entrepreneurship, Internet Marketing, Personal Finance)

5:43 am
November 30, 2010

Forest Parks

Cairo, Egypt

Admin

posts 1337

Welcome aboard.

Vist me at Frugal Zeitgeist…. Frugal and Sustainable Living for the now…

9:58 pm
December 26, 2010

debtfreedivas

posts 121

Post edited 10:04 pm – December 26, 2010 by debtfreedivas

I'm surprised there are not more posts in a topic on debt by financial bloggers.:) I'll give it a whirl.

I had a conversation with my brother about finances some time ago. We added my family's combined income (large family). I was blown away to think of how much we made vs. the sheer lack of tangible assets we possess. As Thomas Stanley (author of Millionaire Next Door) puts it, we are Income Statement Affluent. You could say we were 2 paychecks away from the projects (low/no-income housing).

I reached my own epiphany with debt after discovering Dave Ramsey. The first line of one of his books asked if you can imagine owning your house free and clear. It never occurred to me that one can and should live without a mortgage before retirement. In my upbringing, debt was a way of life. We didn't by used cars. Finance a new car because it comes with a warranty. As long as you appear to be well off, behind the scenes was unimportant.

My concern was always the credit score. As long as your score is tip top, then debt is something you managed (i.e accepted as normal). A year of extended underemployment after relocating to marry (10 years before the great recession), an unexpected contract termination, a layoff, a car lease gone bonkers, and one underwater business later; I'm singing another tune.

Our goal with the Debt Free Divas is to educate the masses. We want to help people avoid the pitfalls that developing a comfort level with debt can present. I am learning that if you don't know, you don't know. When people learn how to live on a budget, eliminate debt, and develop an emergency fund; they'll be able to make better financial decisions concerning their present and their family's future.

7:15 am
December 27, 2010

My Personal Finance Journey

posts 3159

Welcome to a great group!

Jacob @ My Personal Finance Journey

Visit me at My Personal Finance Journey

Email me jacob@mypersonalfinancejourney.com

Be my Facebook Friend, Follow my journey on Twitter

10:45 am
February 18, 2011

Matt Wegner

Sheboygan, WI

posts 198

Hey everyone, glad to be a part of such an awesome group. Like the debt free divas, I started my financial revolution through Dave Ramsey. His programs made such a difference in our lives that I trained with his staff and became one of his certified financial coaches. Since 2007 I've been helping people take control of their finances and eliminate debt so they can save for the future.

Prior to all this, my wife and I had some debt of the typical nature: home mortgage, student loans, car loans and credit cards (we always paid them off but they always seemed to tempt us into spending more than we wanted or planned). We thought we were doing well financially but we never seemed to get very far in our retirement investing.

One day we woke up and decided to never borrow money again. We paid off our debts, saved up an emergency fund, and proceeded to pay off our house. When I lost my engineering job we didn't skip a beat because we were prepared for it. I took my passion for teaching and empowering people with their finances full time and it's been a wild ride.

Now I blog, podcast, coach, teach and a few other things but it all focuses on helping people get educated and live debt free. I joined the Yakezie challenge because I want to grow my blog and reach out to help as many people as possible.

Matt Wegner

Living In Financial Excellence!

Financial Excellence Blog

Facebook Page

Twitter Profile

12:27 pm
March 15, 2011

Jon | Free Money Wisdom

posts 332

You have just joined the best blogging community out there.  Welcome and I look forward to reading your blog!  

Return to Search Results

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)