You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Is it worth going to University in 2014-15?

No Tags
UserPost

2:11 am
November 24, 2014

moneystepper

posts 182

Hi guys,

Looking to open the debate up a little. We've just posted an article where I got thoroughly carried away (over 4,500 words) about whether it is financially beneficial going to University:

Is it worth going to University in 2015?

The article is written using figures from the UK, but I would imagine that the debate is very similar in the US (perhaps even more bias towards the argument of not going to University due to the higher tuition fees, higher debt for students graduating university and due to the student loan program in the UK coming with very low interest rates and a requirement to only repay if earning over £21k pa).

If your children were about to finish school and have the decision to go to University, what would you advise them to do? I personally think its become so close from a financial and social standpoint that there isn't a right/wrong answer today. 10 years ago, I think university was a no-brainer, but I'm no longer convinced it is. What do you guys think? 

4:09 pm
November 27, 2014

Untemplater

posts 400

I don't have any kids, so I'm not sure what I would tell them since education could be quite different by the time they could be going to college if I ever have any.

I still think it's beneficial to have a college degree, but a lot of that does depend on the student's career goals. More people are working as freelancers at jobs that may not require college degrees. But there are still a ton of jobs that do require degrees as I've noticed recently as I'm currently in the job hunt.

If I had a kid who graduated high school now I think I'd still tell him/her to go to college, but to either stick with an instate public school, or start out at a city college and move into a public college to save some money. It's still a competitive job market and there are a lot of valuable skills we learn in school.

Sydney at Untemplater

Blog: http://untemplater.com

Twitter: @untemplater  @syduntemplater

Facebook: Like Untemplater's Page  Friend Sydney

Work where you want…Live how you want…Be who you want to be

No Tags

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)