You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Travel and Vacation Ideas For 2013: Need Your Input!

UserPost

8:45 am
January 10, 2013

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Howdy Folks,

One of my goals in 2013 is to travel for 10 weeks vs. 7 weeks in 2012. I've been traveling or living overseas every year for the past 30 years and plan to continue the trend! 

Scenario: 17 day trip

Budget: $5,000 – $7,000 for 17 day trip

Potential Destinations: Bali, Phuket, Costa Rica, Buenos Aires, Machu Picchu, New Zealand, Croatia, Morocco, Egypt, South Africa.

I plan on booking the itinerary by January 20 at the latest, so any input is appreciated. I'm particularly interested in Costa Rica or other Central American or South American countries since it's warm now and not as far.

Any good travel plans for you?

Thanks,

Sam

Regards,

Sam

Financial Samurai - Helping you achieve financial freedom sooner, rather than later.

Yakezie Network Founder 

5:19 am
January 11, 2013

Jackie

posts 664

I loooovvvve to travel. We don't have any specific destinations in mind for the rest of this year, but will be going on at least one more just-for-fun trip. Then in winter 2014 I'm going to Antarctica. Can't wait for that :)

MoneyCrush (Member Blog)
http://www.moneycrush.com • @moneycrush • Facebook

8:01 am
January 11, 2013

Bernie

posts 3

Sam,

I'm booked for a 7 day tour to MAchu Picchu in April.  I'm traveling with REI since I can't convince any of my friends to go with me (no sense of adventure).  Costa Rica is on my list, as is Belize and the Galapagos.  So many places, so little time!

8:28 am
January 11, 2013

My Personal Finance Journey

posts 3159

Go for the Macchu Pichu action! I went back in 2007, and it was truly one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had! Worth every bit of the cost. 

Jacob @ My Personal Finance Journey

Visit me at My Personal Finance Journey

Email me jacob@mypersonalfinancejourney.com

Be my Facebook Friend, Follow my journey on Twitter

8:02 pm
January 11, 2013

Fig (Figuring Money Out)

posts 76

Just back and forth between NZ and USA, our home countries.

8:25 pm
January 11, 2013

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Looks like Machu Picchu is in the lead!

Jackie, Antartica in the winter sounds cold. You'll have to take some pics!

Regards,

Sam

Financial Samurai - Helping you achieve financial freedom sooner, rather than later.

Yakezie Network Founder 

11:25 pm
January 12, 2013

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

BTW for Machu Picchu, you guys taking the train from Cuzco or doing the 4 day hike?

Regards,

Sam

Yakezie Network Founder 

10:46 am
January 13, 2013

Jackie

posts 664

Financial Samurai said:

Looks like Machu Picchu is in the lead!

Jackie, Antartica in the winter sounds cold. You'll have to take some pics!

Well, it'll be their summer, but yeah I imagine it'll be cold no matter what, especially compared to Arizona!

MoneyCrush (Member Blog)
http://www.moneycrush.com • @moneycrush • Facebook

7:25 pm
January 13, 2013

OneCentAtatime

Florida, USA

posts 1778

You could write a great travel piece, "From Arizona to Antarctica" . Really didn't know they offer vacation options in that part of the world. 

We just been to India, our home country for 21 days. and planning to cover Yellow Stone in the summer and Hawai in the early winter. Both would be 7 days each.

SB

One Cent At A Time  (Yakezie Member Site)

http://twitter.com/onlyonecent

onecentatatime@gmail.com

Finance Product Reviews 

https://twitter.com/FPRReviews

7:43 pm
January 13, 2013

OneCentAtatime

Florida, USA

posts 1778

Just saw there are cruise ships to Arctic and Antarctic, gosh, they are costly!

SB

One Cent At A Time  (Yakezie Member Site)

http://twitter.com/onlyonecent

onecentatatime@gmail.com

Finance Product Reviews 

https://twitter.com/FPRReviews

4:52 am
January 14, 2013

MoneyBeagle

posts 1466

I know about most of these places from having watched most seasons of The Amazing Race.  Sam, maybe you should find a partner and apply to be on the show.  You could see lots of great places AND I'd put you as a front runner to win the half a million dollars that they give away every year (or is it a million?)

Member Site: Money Beagle

Visit Money Beagle    -    Email    -    Twitter    -   Facebook    -  Google+

8:17 pm
January 15, 2013

Pauline

posts 274

I am very partial but Guatemala is AMAZING! You can visit colonial towns, hike an active volcano, learn about Mayan culture, surf and party on the beach, dive (although better in neighboring Belize and Honduras), the food is great, costs are low, people are friendly!

Spirit has pretty cheap flight and you can do a loop landing in Cancún, going down to Belize, Guatemala and back through Chiapas in Mexico or fly from Honduras after a few days diving.

Re Macchu Picchu I took the train as my mum was there too and she had less time, I don't regret as we took it from Ollantaytambo not Cusco and got to see other ruins on the way. Looks like the climax of the hike is really the arrival on the last day, and we were happy to visit the site without carrying backpacks or having showered in three days.

I hiked the Cordillera Blanca and around lake Titicaca which was amazing.

Don't hesitate to drop me an email if you want to know more about Guatemala :)

Pauline @ Reach Financial Independence

Yakezie Member Site: 

Reach Financial Independence 

Email:  tdmpauline *at* gmail *dot* com

I am also on Twitter and Facebook

8:20 pm
January 15, 2013

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Thanks for the insight Pauline! Let me check flights to Gautemala.

I think the top choices is narrowing down to Costa Rica at the moment b/c it is only 8 hour travel time away, and I've only got 16 days. I would love to go to farther places.. but it's hard to give up 2 days of travel if I've got less than 3-4 weeks.

Regards,

Sam

Yakezie Network Founder 

9:00 am
January 16, 2013

Pauline

posts 274

Costa Rica is nice for nature and doing nothing on the beach. It is also a safe choice. Mexico and Guatemala have a real personality on top of natural wonders, and the food is good. Costa Rica is a great option for two weeks though, as it is a small country. I haven't been there in years, but many friends told me they prefer Nicaragua and Panama, that Costa Rica is less authentic.

An interesting Mexican trip could be Mexico City / Guanajuato / San Miguel de Allende / Queretaro and then finish on the beach near Mazatlan for a few days. Flights shouldn't be over 5 hours.

Or a cheap flight to Cancun and explore the Yucatan peninsula. Lots of diving, sailing, great beaches and a few colonial towns like Merida or Valladolid for culture.

Pauline @ Reach Financial Independence

Yakezie Member Site: 

Reach Financial Independence 

Email:  tdmpauline *at* gmail *dot* com

I am also on Twitter and Facebook

9:05 am
January 16, 2013

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Pauline said:

Costa Rica is nice for nature and doing nothing on the beach. It is also a safe choice. Mexico and Guatemala have a real personality on top of natural wonders, and the food is good. Costa Rica is a great option for two weeks though, as it is a small country. I haven't been there in years, but many friends told me they prefer Nicaragua and Panama, that Costa Rica is less authentic.

An interesting Mexican trip could be Mexico City / Guanajuato / San Miguel de Allende / Queretaro and then finish on the beach near Mazatlan for a few days. Flights shouldn't be over 5 hours.

Or a cheap flight to Cancun and explore the Yucatan peninsula. Lots of diving, sailing, great beaches and a few colonial towns like Merida or Valladolid for culture.

Gotcha.

I went to Cancun for a week the first time a couple years ago and LOVED it! I visited all the ruins, did the snorkeling in Xe Hal, and more. I've been thinking of Mexico City as well. If I go to CR, it'll now be for just 10 days. Don't think I need to do 16.

Thx

Regards,

Sam

Yakezie Network Founder 

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)