latisha

Hi, my name is LaTisha and I am the force behind Financial Success for Young Adults. It’s funny that I teach finance now because I was never really a math person. In middle school and through most of high school, I hated math. My favorite subjects were art, english and lunch. But I am a big fan of pushing myself to the limits of what I think I can do. So senior year of high school, I decided to take the advanced calculus class. I studied every day and did over and above what was recommended. I was always an A student but this class was kicking my behind. I completed the class with a B and learned that math is not so hard, it just takes repetition. And I have no problem with hard work.

My Finance Story

Fast forward to college. After graduating with a Spanish degree and not having a clue what I wanted to do with it, I decided to go back to school. I chose Finance as my new course of study. Why? I wanted to make the big investment bankers salaries. And because, even though I am not that great at math, I knew it would be a challenge to excel in a field that is largely dominated by males. Imagine my disappointment when I graduated into a recession that caused shrinkage in the world of finance. I had done everything I was supposed to do; internships, advanced financial engineering, and student groups.

A few months after graduating, I still did not have a full time job. I was working a few jobs part-time, but nothing I wanted to stick with. I was pissed that I wasn’t using my degree or working to my full potential. I had always wanted to start my own business and so I decided to start teaching others finance. I had a conversation with a co-worker about how I could do this and she suggested writing a budget plan that young adults could use.

I decided, instead, to create a website so that it would be available to young adults all over the world. My goal with Financial Success for Young Adults is to teach things that I never learned when I was younger. I want to teach sound money management, investing tips and entrepreneurial skills for anyone who wants to learn it in the simplest way possible.

Yakezie Found Me

After two months of writing for my blog and reading other blogs, I kept seeing the Yakezie badge everywhere. I finally clicked through and found a great network of personal finance bloggers. Writing has been therapeutic for me. I was a little depressed that I didn’t have a job in my field but I kept writing. The forums connected me with others who shared my passion for finance and helping others.

The whole premise of Yakezie is to selflessly help others and even though I have done just that, I have received so much more than I expected. You guys cheered me on when I got my job, you motivated me to keep writing when I got burned out and you have supported me in so many ways. I am so glad to become a part of Yakezie and keep the support going for everyone.

I’ve already shared most of my life in guest posts and on my blog so today I will share some tidbits that you might not know about me.

• I once met Danny Glover when I started a multi-level marketing business. In fact, he is the cut off person in my Gravatar.
  • I am ServSafe certified in the State of Georgia which means I am a certified food handler. (Acquired when I was a restaurant manager.) I can tell you exactly how long you can keep those leftovers in your fridge according to the Food and Drug Administration. :)
  • I’m a serial entrepreneur and starting an organic lingerie line called Grapefruit Boutique with one of my best friends.
  • And lastly, my family’s last name was used as a last name for a character in the movie Boyz in the Hood because my cousin was college roommates with director John Singleton.

Looking to learn how to start your own profitable website? Check out my step-by-step guide on how to start a blog. It’s one of the best things I did in 2009 to help earn extra money and break free from Corporate America!

Updated for 2017 and beyond.