You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Blogging Motivation: 5,000+ Words A Week Challenge Is On!

No Tags
UserPost

7:09 am
November 10, 2012

Hank Coleman

North Carolina

posts 363

Sam,

Count me in. I'm up for the challenge. Thanks for getting this together!

7:45 am
November 10, 2012

retireby40

USA

posts 1381

I wrote about 6,000 words last week and it wiped me out. Normally I write 2500-3500 words and that works pretty well for me. I can probably do one or two 5,000 words week, but not every week… I'll pass this time. 

retire by 40

Twitter: @retirebyforty

Facebook: Retire By 40 

8:37 am
November 10, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Joe – Phew, 6,000 words a week would wipe me out too! Luckily we are only shooting for 5,000! :)

Hank – Sounds good!

Regards,

Sam

Financial Samurai - Helping you achieve financial freedom sooner, rather than later.

Yakezie Network Founder 

1:27 pm
November 10, 2012

My Personal Finance Journey

posts 3159

This is a great idea Sam! I am continuously impressed by the amount of great content you have on your site and the consistency as well! I wouldn't say that's luck at all!  

Jacob @ My Personal Finance Journey

Visit me at My Personal Finance Journey

Email me jacob@mypersonalfinancejourney.com

Be my Facebook Friend, Follow my journey on Twitter

11:39 am
November 11, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Jacob – Thanks Jacob, but Financial Samurai is nothing compared to so many other great personal finance blogs out there. Look at Trent from TSD who writes 1-2X a day, everyday with no guest posts or staff writers! Now THAT is impressive!

It's 11/11/12, LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Regards,

Sam

Financial Samurai - Helping you achieve financial freedom sooner, rather than later.

Yakezie Network Founder 

11:46 am
November 11, 2012

savingadvice

posts 100

Post edited 11:47 am – November 11, 2012 by savingadvice

This challenge has already started to pay dividends — I decided I better start the last couple of days to make sure I could handle the load and this is what I produced:

November 9

NationalParksBlog – "Dry Yosemite National Park" 390 words
TimeshareTrap – "David Siegel Timeshare Dishonesty" 448 words
HelloKittyHell – Hello Kitty Movie Theater" 340 words

Total: 1188 words

November 10

NoSpendDay – "No Spend Day" 1061 words

Total: 2249 words

Now onto the official challenge!

Challenge Blog 1

12:20 pm
November 11, 2012

Elle

Raleigh, NC

posts 199

Whew, Sam, this challenge is a good mental workout! I just finished up Monday's post on Smartphone Plans for $19/Month with Republic Wireless. Now I'm fleshing out my post on revamping our monthly budget for 2013 a bit further for Wednesday. Between the two I should knock out 3000 words.  

I don't know about everyone else, but having the weekly goal in mind helped me to sit down and think about what questions readers may have so I could add the information to the post. How about everyone else? How are you doing? 

Elle Martinez

Couple Money- Live on one income; have fun with the second.

Couple Money Podcast – Building Up Your Marriage and Your Net Worth

Please chat with me - Couple Money on Twitter

1:02 pm
November 11, 2012

Marissa

posts 385

I'm in. Between the 3 sites I should be able to hammer out 5k. Throw in a guest post a week and I think I'm set.

-Marissa

PF Blog: Thirtysixmonths.com  Finance Triggers

Lifestyle/Fashion Chic Darling

Reach me: Marissa @ Thirtysixmonths.com

5:51 pm
November 11, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Elle – The challenge definitely has helped me focus. I've started off with a 1,600 worder this morning and will probably go the 4X a week route to get to 5,000+. It helps to produce more content when there is LESS comments actually, so I can spend my time writing content rather than responding to all comments.

Marissa – Nice! What are your two other sites?

Regards,

Sam

Yakezie Network Founder 

9:00 am
November 12, 2012

Jake@iHeartBudgets.net

posts 407

Sam,  this is an awesome challenge, and though I am not joining this time, I am going to set myself a slightly smaller goal (3,500 words) so I have something to shoot for.

9:41 am
November 12, 2012

Edward Antrobus

Fort Collins, CO

posts 1008

Never let it be said that bandwagons don't have their use. Stung this thread constantly in the new posts section has inspired me to at least try.

When I first joined the challenge, I said that the deciding factor was that if I didn't try, I already failed. This is the same way. Whether or not I'm participating, if I don't write 5000 words per week, I'm failing the challenge.

So, I'm in. And of to a good start, I duff quite 1000 words yesterday.

I'm looking for editors, beta-readers, and some demographic research for my upcoming novel, Once Upon a Saturn Moon. If you like reading soft sci-fi thrillers, maybe with a touch of romance thrown in, you can find more information at http://seampublishing.com/once…..aturn-moon

If You Can Read, You Can Cookhttp://www.ifyoucanread.com | Think you can't cook? If you can read this sentence, then you can.

SEAM Publishinghttp://www.seampublishing.com | eBook formatting and publishing service

10:19 am
November 12, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Ed – Cool. Try and write some evergreen type posts that can be useful no matter when someone reads it.

Jake – Not bad! It's all about progress.

Regards,

Sam

Yakezie Network Founder 

3:19 pm
November 12, 2012

Gen Y Finance Journey

posts 69

I published a 1000+ word post yesterday and have another one lined up for tomorrow, so I may succeed for the first week at least! This will be an interesting experiment as I've always tried to keep my posts shorter rather than longer, with the assumption that most people wouldn't bother reading a post if it's too long. If I can keep this up for at least few weeks, hopefully it will give me a better idea of what length will work best to draw in readers.

3:23 pm
November 12, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Gen Y Finance Journey said:

I published a 1000+ word post yesterday and have another one lined up for tomorrow, so I may succeed for the first week at least! This will be an interesting experiment as I've always tried to keep my posts shorter rather than longer, with the assumption that most people wouldn't bother reading a post if it's too long. If I can keep this up for at least few weeks, hopefully it will give me a better idea of what length will work best to draw in readers.

In an ADD world, shorter posts definitely have its strong place online. However, if I am searching for a pressing subject, I want to read as much detail as possible about the subject. The more thorough the post the better. Think about the subject of healing some sort of health related problem. Short posts don't fly. Search engines love longer posts too, and they are the main source of "passive traffic."

Of course we should write with good structure and have some good entertainment value when appropriate. But, that just takes time.

Regards,

Sam

Yakezie Network Founder 

6:18 pm
November 12, 2012

TightFistedMiser

posts 361

I'm joining the challenge.  With four blogs I probably need to be writing 5,000 words a week anyway.  I haven't been coming close to that total and have been outsourcing some of my posts on my secondary blogs.  This challenge should get me back on track to making writing a priority.

1:02 am
November 13, 2012

Buck Inspire

posts 1546

Hi Sam,

Not sure if I can meet your 5,000+ words a week, but it did inspire me to write my first 1,500 word post.  You're in it along with a few others.  Check it out and thanks for the challenge! Cool

Two Year Blog Review By Looper Buck Inspire

9:13 am
November 13, 2012

martin

posts 199

Financial Samurai said:

Gen Y Finance Journey said:

In an ADD world, shorter posts definitely have its strong place online. However, if I am searching for a pressing subject, I want to read as much detail as possible about the subject. The more thorough the post the better. Think about the subject of healing some sort of health related problem. Short posts don't fly. Search engines love longer posts too, and they are the main source of "passive traffic."

Of course we should write with good structure and have some good entertainment value when appropriate. But, that just takes time.

I've learned that the beauty of a long post is that it will get saved by the reader and treated as a "resource" type piece. A short post on the other hand, will likely lead to more comments.

5:16 am
November 14, 2012

Edward Antrobus

Fort Collins, CO

posts 1008

I probably went a little long on this one, but I just published my longest post ever and only my third over 1000 words. At 2025 words, How to Sell an Old Computer.

Now, time for bed.

I'm looking for editors, beta-readers, and some demographic research for my upcoming novel, Once Upon a Saturn Moon. If you like reading soft sci-fi thrillers, maybe with a touch of romance thrown in, you can find more information at http://seampublishing.com/once…..aturn-moon

If You Can Read, You Can Cookhttp://www.ifyoucanread.com | Think you can't cook? If you can read this sentence, then you can.

SEAM Publishinghttp://www.seampublishing.com | eBook formatting and publishing service

7:56 am
November 15, 2012

FamilyMoneyValues

posts 812

Lets see, what I normally write (excluding 2 posts of about 1200 words for other sites and one post every 2 weeks for a third site):

Results this week:

Agingbodies.com = 0 (I have staff writers)

familyexecutor.com = 989

blog.familymoneyvalues.com = "Benefits of writing an autobiography" =  1087 plus "Have you ever tested your estate plan" = 937 = blog total 2024  - note that I excluded the Carnival of retirement post….

http://www.familymoneyvalues.com = 851

Total = 3864

Think I will pass this time, what with the holidays, travel and some other new responsibilities and trying to keep up with 7 sites each month.

FamilyMoneyValues
Blog: http:blog.familymoneyvalues.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Family…..neyValues/  

11:26 am
November 15, 2012

martin

posts 199

I hate to say this, but why are we all making excuses? If you want something bad enough, you'll do it. Imagine telling our relatives that fought in wars that we're too tired to blog?

No Tags

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)