You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Blogging Motivation: 5,000+ Words A Week Challenge Is On!

No Tags
UserPost

8:46 am
November 26, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Post edited 3:38 pm – November 26, 2012 by Financial Samurai

Nice job MD, Elle, Hank, FI Fighter, Ed, Gen Y Finance! No excuses! Wink

Didn't we have other folks throw their hat in the ring? Now that people are slowly coming back from the holidays, traffic will come back this week.

Funny story, a lot of "SEO experts" are panicking about another Panda update last week, and especially on Thurs, Nov 22, with charts showing how traffic is down so much. They have no concept of the fact that Nov 22 is Thanksgiving, and a lot of people are off that entire week! It's like the blind leading the blind.

Regards,

Sam

Financial Samurai - Helping you achieve financial freedom sooner, rather than later.

Yakezie Network Founder 

3:28 pm
November 26, 2012

Jake@iHeartBudgets.net

posts 407

Only hit 2,219 this past week. Was down to 3 posts instead of 4, and my word count was lower than usual on 2 of them. Hoping to hit 3,500 this week!

4:16 pm
November 27, 2012

Frugal Portland

Portland, OR

posts 126

I threw my hat in but then I fell into a bowl of gravy over Thanksgiving. Working on increasing my word count, though — so I'm still inspired!

frugalportland

follow me on twitter

be a fan on facebook

send me an email

5:25 pm
November 27, 2012

maria@moneyprinciple

Manchester, UK

posts 679

Belated report for last week. Overall found 4,846 words between four articles for The Money Principle and one guest post that has been sent to the blog and we shall see.

Certainly better than the week before but not quite 5,000. I am not sure this is working with one blog – a solution will present itself.

This week I am exceptionally busy and may be there will be fewer words.

Maria

10:37 am
December 1, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Week 3 Check-In – 12/1/12

Financial Samurai

How To Get The Lowest Price Guarantee, 11/24/12, 803 words

Should I Borrow From My 401K? Only If You Are A Petulant Fool, 11/26/12, 1261 words

The Average FICO Credit Score For Approved And Denied Mortgage Loans, 11/28/12, 1396 words

What Should I Do Before Quitting My Job? 15 Things To Consider, 11/30/12, 1,700 words

Total: 5,160 words

Yakezie

Beware Of “Guest Blogging” That Can And Will Ruin Your Site, 11/26/12, 986 words

Total: 986

Untemplater

Creating A Profitable Online Store Course, 11/28/12, 1035

How Playing Sports Can Get You A Job, A Life, And A Wife, 11/26/12, 1045 words

Total: 2,080

Grand Total: 8,226

Thoughts:

* Finding that posting 4 times a week is my favorite frequency vs. 3, 5, or 7

* Want to focus 5,000 words+ a week on main site

* Search traffic zooms back to normal after Thanksgiving holidays.

Regards,

Sam

Financial Samurai - Helping you achieve financial freedom sooner, rather than later.

Yakezie Network Founder 

12:10 pm
December 1, 2012

Gen Y Finance Journey

posts 69

Week 3 Check In

Gen Y Finance Journey

What is a Dividend Aristocrat?, 11/26/12 – 1157 words

5 Steps to a Secure Financial Future, 11/27 /12 – 1149 words

Running Outside Will Get You to Retirement Faster, 11/29/12 – 852 words

Budgeting for 2013, 11/30/12 – 1363 words

Weight Loss Milestone Reached, 12/1/12 – 500 words

Total: 5021

1:14 pm
December 1, 2012

maria@moneyprinciple

Manchester, UK

posts 679

Week three report:

Some of you know that I have been spending the week in Chile working on a very intensive job. So I have written only one article for The Money Principle

One habit of wealthy people – 482 words

It is short but it has attracted quite a bit of attention according to Google Analytics. John also published so this is not the only thing we have published this week.

Interestingly we have had about 30% more visits this week that the week before (when we published more).

So it looks like an epic fail except that I have also written over 6,000 words report to the people who brought me to Chile (on top of the research, site visits and interviews). Not bad going, I think :).

Maria

11:47 pm
December 1, 2012

FI Fighter

posts 53

Week 3 Update:

11/27 When is Enough…Enough? (1537 words)

11/29 Fuel Gauge: A Simple Way to Time the Market (1133 words)

11/30 GUEST POST (submitted, but not yet live): Why Young People Need to Invest in the Stock Market (1249 words)

12/1 November 2012 Monthly Expenses (891 words)

12/1 November 2012 Net Worth Update (458 words)

Total Words: 5268

It's like running a marathon. There's still ways to go, but let's keep at it everyone!

FI Fighter (Path to Early Financial Independence)

http://www.fifighter.com

Follow on twitter

https://twitter.com/FI_Fighter

8:09 am
December 2, 2012

Edward Antrobus

Fort Collins, CO

posts 1008

I blew well past the 5000 word mark this week! As predicted, I passed 6000 as well. Thank you Google for making the process of getting a book listed on the Google play store so convoluted that my tutorial took 2000 words to write!

That said, I did just get in under the wire on this one. I hit publish on that tutorial at 8pm last night. Without the challenge, I would have given up on finishing the tutorial sometime around the noon and just finished it the following week. But then I would have been 700+ words short on my goal, so I kept plugging at it.

Posts on Edward Antrobus were a little shorter this week, but still longer than my normal posts. I'm not sure if it was burnout, or just the fact that I actually worked the day shift again this week for pretty much the first time in a month. Plus, when you include what I wrote but haven't been published yet, I actually wrote over 7000 words this week!

The breakdown this week:

If You Can Read, You Can Cook

Turkey Tacos from Thanksgiving Leftovers: Recipe Sunday – 11/25 – 385 words

Freezing Leftover Turkey: Tips & Tricks – 11/29 – 655 words

subtotal: 1040 words

Edward Antrobus

Christmas Decorating on a Budget – 11/26 – 825 words

How to Budget around Seasonal Employment – 11/28 – 876 words

How to Save Money on Gas Prices – 11/30 – 720 words

subtotal: 2421 words

SEAM Publishing

How to Get Publishined on Books on Google Play – 12/1 – 2021 words

subtotal: 2021 words

guest posts

Save Money by Shopping Online – 11/28 – 811 words

subtotal: 811 words

grand total: 6293 words

I'm looking for editors, beta-readers, and some demographic research for my upcoming novel, Once Upon a Saturn Moon. If you like reading soft sci-fi thrillers, maybe with a touch of romance thrown in, you can find more information at http://seampublishing.com/once…..aturn-moon

If You Can Read, You Can Cookhttp://www.ifyoucanread.com | Think you can't cook? If you can read this sentence, then you can.

SEAM Publishinghttp://www.seampublishing.com | eBook formatting and publishing service

8:13 am
December 2, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Post edited 8:17 am – December 2, 2012 by Financial Samurai

Edward, your "How To Get Published On Google Play" is exactly the type of post which is going to bring in tons of future traffic for what I think is years to come. It's original, meaty, and helpful. Good job!

Maria, The theme of this challenge is, "Work while others are at play." Although you think the previous week was an epic fail in terms of traffic due to the Holidays, what you're setting yourself up is a wealth of new visitors from search and more over the next six months. It takes time for work to be found, but once you push through the initial waiting time and consistently publish big content over and over again, your traffic will soar.

Regards,

Sam

Yakezie Network Founder 

10:05 am
December 2, 2012

savingadvice

posts 100

Week 3 11/25 – 12/1

Well, it certainly was quite the eventful week (including a trip to the emergency room for a skin allergic reaction that ballooned my entire leg — I have never been allergic to anything, but apparently I am now allergic to something although we have no idea what exactly is it…)  I ended up having to spend a lot more time working on getting the newest giveaway ready (over 30 blogs participating including many Yakezie blogs — if you're looking for an easy way to build your social media following for free, let me know and join the group).

I also made a change in focus this week for this challenge that will likely last through the end of the year away from my main blog (I still had 5 articles go up, although i did not write them) and toward one of my niche sites. This is something that I have wanted/needed to do for awhile and although it's not much fun (not particularly what I enjoy writing about), I think it will help in the long run. It was much more difficult changing focus than I thought it would be and took me awhile to get in the right mindset to tackle those articles (hopefully I can remain in it and do a lot more writing this coming week). While I did make my numbers, I am a bit disappointed I didn't get a quality post up on the main blog and need to try a little harder in that area this next week, But I do think I ended up doing more than I would have if I had not been doing this challenge, so that is certainly a positive. here are the numbers:

TimeshareTrap

"Ways To Save Money Buying A Timeshare" 11/28/12 1082 words
"California Timeshare Risks" 11/29/12 1014 words
"Palm Springs Timeshare Risks" 11/29/12 807 words
"Palm Desert Timeshare Risks" 11/30/12 1066 words
"Mineral King Timeshare Risks" 11/30/12 834 words

HelloKittyHell

"Hello Kitty Ice Cubes" 11/29/12 213 words

Guest Posts

"Giving Tuesday: A Day To Help Nonprofits" 11/25/12 326 words
"Are Dirty Bills Costing You Money?" 11/25/12 310 words
"Green Tuesday: Eco Friendly Consumerism" 11/26/12 295 words

Total Words Week Three: 5937

Challenge Blog 1

9:14 pm
December 2, 2012

martin

posts 199

Week 3 check-in… Sorry for the delay, no excuse.

Studenomics:

Make Money Online, won't count, it's a case study.

Mobile banking, 566

Renting vs buying, 717

Christmas, 694

SFN:

Overcoming excuses, 997

How I would get started, 895

Other freelance gigs:

How to avoid student loans, GPT 542

The Power of being aggressive, TFB 683 

Formula for saving money, Experiglot 500

Grant total= 5,594!

I hit the 5k target, but am definitely not impressed with this at all. I need to publish more-meaty pieces on Studenomics. I need a 2,000 word post. This is coming up.

9:23 pm
December 2, 2012

Elle

Raleigh, NC

posts 199

Week 3 Update:

Couple Money

• Do You Have a Job Loss Emergency Plan? – 912 words
  • What Would You Do without a Car Loan? -775 words
  • Finally! Celica Vs Jetta – Which to Sell? -402 words
My Financial Reviews
  • Proportional Budgeting for Couples – 324 words
  • Selling for More on eBay – 608 words
  • What is a Short Sale -418 words

Guest Posts

• How Much to Save for My FSA in 2013 – 604 words
  • Giving More Next Year – 437 words
  • Giving as a Family – 554 words
Grand Total: 5,034
So I mentioned last week that it would be easier with guest posts. Um….no. It was not. I again worked until tonight to reach my goal. I have got to get my writing done sooner in the week…

Elle Martinez

Couple Money- Live on one income; have fun with the second.

Couple Money Podcast – Building Up Your Marriage and Your Net Worth

Please chat with me - Couple Money on Twitter

3:41 am
December 3, 2012

maria@moneyprinciple

Manchester, UK

posts 679

@Sam: the stats are not the epic fail. I agree with what you are saying. My word count was rather epic fail because of clashing writing commitments. Since my report I have published two articles so….

Maria

7:25 am
December 3, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

maria@moneyprinciple said:

@Sam: the stats are not the epic fail. I agree with what you are saying. My word count was rather epic fail because of clashing writing commitments. Since my report I have published two articles so….

Maria

Gotcha. Yes, publishing 485 words in a 5,000 word a week challenge isn't the greatest. How about writing 9,515 words one week as make up to average 5,000 words for two weeks whoo hoo!

Regards,

Sam

Yakezie Network Founder 

8:10 am
December 3, 2012

maria@moneyprinciple

Manchester, UK

posts 679

No problem, man! Just had some splendid blogging news – don't want to tease but ill have to let people know when absolutely certain.

Maria

7:26 am
December 8, 2012

Edward Antrobus

Fort Collins, CO

posts 1008

Can't believe I'm the first to post my update this week!

If You Can Read, You Can Cook

Grilled Chicken Snack Wrap: Recipe Sunday – 12/2 – 478 words (my longest recipe post yet!)

4 Alternatives to a Potato Masher: Tips & Tricks – 12/6 – 692 words

Subtotal: 1170 words

Edward Antrobus

Net Worth Update: November 2012 – 12/3 383 words

How to Identify Good and Bad Places to Buy Gas – 12/5 801 words (this is the post that would have simply been an added 2 paragraphs of last week post if Eric hadn't given me the idea to make it a separate post)

Frugal vs. Cheap: How Far is Too Far? – 12/7 – 873 words

Subtotal: 2057

SEAM Publishing

How to Get Published on FeedBooks – 12/8 – 1129 words

Subtotal: 1129 words

Penny Thots/guest posts

How to Shop at Discount Grocery Stores – 12/6 – 733 words

Subtotal: 733 words

Grand Total: 5089 words

The guest post was actually written 2 weeks ago, but finally went up. I'll admit that this week was tough for me. I'm starting to wear down but I know that I only have three weeks left. Plus, I'm now left with a lot more time to write since the season is over at work.

Doing the research for my SEAM Publishing tutorials is especially wearing. To the people who actually do original research and analysis for their sites day in and day out, I salute you! I probably would have given up a long time ago if that was the main focus of any of my sites.

I'm looking for editors, beta-readers, and some demographic research for my upcoming novel, Once Upon a Saturn Moon. If you like reading soft sci-fi thrillers, maybe with a touch of romance thrown in, you can find more information at http://seampublishing.com/once…..aturn-moon

If You Can Read, You Can Cookhttp://www.ifyoucanread.com | Think you can't cook? If you can read this sentence, then you can.

SEAM Publishinghttp://www.seampublishing.com | eBook formatting and publishing service

9:30 am
December 8, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Post edited 5:09 pm – December 8, 2012 by Financial Samurai

Week 4 Update 12/8/2012

Financial Samurai

Who Should Get A Black Card? Probably Not You! 12/2/12, 1013 words

How Much Savings Should I Have Accumulated By Age? 12/3/12, 1,400 words (whale post)

Should I Use A Wealth Management Company Like Personal Capital? 12/5/12, 1,074 words

P2P Investor Returns By Borrower Rating And By Credit Score, 12/7/12, 1,055 words

Sub Total: 4,542

Yakezie

The Best Affiliate Products Are Your Own, 12/3/12, 1,982 words

Untemplater

Tips On Deal With Depression, 12/8/12, 1,469 words

Grand Total: 7,993 words

Notes

* Made it a goal to write every post over 1,000 words long, but tightened it up where I could. I think it's important to differentiate from the constant flood of 400-600 word long "guest posts" out there.

* Four posts a week is optimum for main site. 

* Focusing writing on sites that are most relevant, including writing a couple more guest posts.

* Reminded myself every day that I either I want to succeed or I don't want to succeed. No excuses.

Regards,

Sam

Yakezie Network Founder 

3:47 pm
December 8, 2012

Gen Y Finance Journey

posts 69

Week 4 Update

Gen Y Finance Journey

Health and Finances, 12/3/12 – 1250 words

What is Yield on Cost and Should You Care About it?, 12/4/12 – 571 words

The Latte Factor – Yes, It's a Big Deal, 12/5/12 – 842 words

Financial Lessons From My Mother, 12/6/12 – 1018 words

Financial Lessons From My Father, 12/7/12 – 1132 words

What Would You Do With $10,000?, 12/8/12 – 333 words

Total: 5146

8:02 pm
December 8, 2012

FI Fighter

posts 53

Week 4 results:

12/3 Inspirational Posts to Offset the Monday Morning Blues (685 words)

12/5 Workplace Politics (What a Waste of Time!) (2467 words)

12/6 Part 1: The Secret Ingredients for Retiring Early (Using the Stock Market) (586 words)

12/8 The Most Important Thing You'll Learn in College (1705 words)

Total: 5443

I thought I would mix up the posts a bit this week. My post on Workplace Politics turned out to be my meatiest post to date, at 2467 words. I also tried a different writing style, using commentary toward the end. Not sure if it was successful or not, but I did try something new.

The Most Important Thing You'll Learn in College was also my first post about the college experience. In a way, it's a little off topic, but I did mention the lessons I learned and how I apply them today, on my current journey.

FI Fighter (Path to Early Financial Independence)

http://www.fifighter.com

Follow on twitter

https://twitter.com/FI_Fighter

No Tags

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)