You must be logged in to post Login

Lost Your Password?

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Blogging Motivation: 5,000+ Words A Week Challenge Is On!

No Tags
UserPost

4:23 pm
November 16, 2012

savingadvice

posts 100

Just a quick reminder for everyone to stay focused — the end of the first week is coming up. Make the time to achieve this goal — it will pay off in the long run.

Challenge Blog 1

9:39 am
November 17, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Post edited 11:04 am – November 17, 2012 by Financial Samurai

How's everybody doing? Check in time for week Week #1!

Let's use the follow format below of site, post title, date, word count, sub total, grand total.  Everybody in the Challenge should report before each Sunday or Monday (whenever you consider your first post of the week) to keep ourselves accountable.

Financial Samurai

How Does It Feel To Be Financially Independent? 11/11/12, 1,821 words

How Does An Umbrella Policy Work? 11/13/12, 1,665 words

Main Reasons To Borrow Through P2P Lending, 11/15/12, 1968 words

Should I Get Disaster Insurance For Earthquakes, Floods, And Hurricanes?, 11/16/12, 1665

FS Total Word Count: 7,119

Yakezie.com

How To Increase Traffic To Your Site, 11/12/12, 619 words

Surviving Google Updates: Thin Content Is Out, Thick Content Is In, 11/15/12, 1,327 words

Yakezie.com Total Word Count: 1,946

Guest Post

How Long Can You Survive Without Gas And Electricity on Untemplater, 11/12/12, 849 words

Week 1 Grand Total Word Count: 10,014

Analysis: Posting 5,000 words a week is much easier if there is a challenge and a group of people doing it! Need to keep variety up.

Currently wondering: Why it's so hard to let go and publish a new post the very next day. Hard to not keep a post up at the top position when you've worked so hard on it. Would you mind reading a new post five times a week on one site if posts are so long? Spreading content to more than 2-3 blogs is difficult.

Regards,

Sam

Financial Samurai - Helping you achieve financial freedom sooner, rather than later.

Yakezie Network Founder 

10:36 am
November 17, 2012

savingadvice

posts 100

Financial Samurai said:

Why it's so hard to let go and publish a new post the very next day. Would you mind reading a new post five times a week on one site if posts are so long? Posting 5,000 words a week is much easier if there is a challenge and a group of people doing it!

Great first week! I don't think that long posts are an issue as long as they are well written and entertaining. People read what captures their interest no matter what the length. 

Challenges provide two important ingredients — focus and accountability. You have a focused goal and by making it public, you are accountable. Both great motivators :)

Challenge Blog 1

12:27 pm
November 17, 2012

Gen Y Finance Journey

posts 69

Gen Y Finance Journey

How I Lost Weight Eating Pizza 11/11/12 – 1,152 words

Working in a Group 11/13/12 – 1,093 words

Where You Buy Matters 11/14/12 – 1,055 words

Demographics Affect Your Benefits 11/15/12 – 831 words

Is the World Ending? 11/16/12 – 902 words

Week 1 Total: 5,033

3:14 pm
November 17, 2012

LaTisha @YoungFinances

Admin

posts 1715

Stepping a toe in. 1900 words going up on Monday. "I Have a Confession… I Don't Have a Budget"

LaTisha 

Young Adult Finances

Most Popular Post: I Have a Confession, I Don't Have a Budget

5:46 pm
November 17, 2012

Edward Antrobus

Fort Collins, CO

posts 1008

Post edited 4:30 am – November 18, 2012 by Edward Antrobus

If You Can Read, You Can Cook

11/11 – Salsa Dip: Recipe Sunday305 words

11 -16 Cold Canning: Tips & Tricks663 words

Subtotal 968 words

Edward Antrobus (now a .com!)

11/12 – I Bought a Computer725 words

11/14 – How to Sell a Computer2025 words

11/17 – How to Survive the Night Shift1283 words

Subtotal4033 words

Total5001 words

Just squeeked by!

I'm looking for editors, beta-readers, and some demographic research for my upcoming novel, Once Upon a Saturn Moon. If you like reading soft sci-fi thrillers, maybe with a touch of romance thrown in, you can find more information at http://seampublishing.com/once…..aturn-moon

If You Can Read, You Can Cookhttp://www.ifyoucanread.com | Think you can't cook? If you can read this sentence, then you can.

SEAM Publishinghttp://www.seampublishing.com | eBook formatting and publishing service

10:47 pm
November 17, 2012

FI Fighter

posts 53

Here are my results for the week:

11/12: Exelon (EXC), we have a problem! (1518) words

11/14: Lessons in Landlording: HOA will check, so hide those satellite dishes from plain sight! (1240 words)

11/15: Ten Tips to Help Jumpstart your Career (1589 words)

11/17: Work Update: 20 more layoffs today! (875 words)

Total: 5222 words

FI Fighter (Path to Early Financial Independence)

http://www.fifighter.com

Follow on twitter

https://twitter.com/FI_Fighter

2:03 am
November 18, 2012

maria@moneyprinciple

Manchester, UK

posts 679

First week has been an epic fail – this is right, guys, I never do things half heartedly. So here it is:

Post 1: 827

Post 2 – 873

Post 3 – 137 (the rest was an infographic)

Total: 1,837

Of course, John wrote for The Money Principle as well (but this doesn't count).

Please note, though, that this is not how much a wrote – I write loads for my job and it is being rather mad at the moment. Next week will do better – now back to writing.

Maria

3:41 am
November 18, 2012

Hank Coleman

North Carolina

posts 363

Here are my results for the week (my weeks start on Mondays):

11/12: Buying A Purebred Dog Is Like Buying A New Car – 818 words

11/12: Why You Need Renters Insurance In The Military – 523 (guest post on The Military Wallet)

11/14: What Budgeting System Works For You And Your Family? – 596

11/15: How To Earn Easy Money With Swagbucks – 885

11/17: Is It Okay To Change Your Bucket List? – 645

11/18: The Damage The Fiscal Cliff Tax Changes Will Do To Your Wallet – 986

Total: 4,453 words

What a fail! I'm having trouble getting out of my comfort zone of 500-700 words. Not posting two days and not planning ahead also killed me.

9:33 am
November 18, 2012

savingadvice

posts 100

Week One 11/11 – 11/17

SavingAdvice 

"Giveaway Advertisers" 11/12/12 593 words
"Free Turkey: 12 Ways To Get One For Thanksgiving" 11/13/12 1709 words
"50 Things I Am Thankful For $100 Giveaway" 11/15/12 1246 words
"10 Reasons To Avoid Black Friday" 11/16/12 1622 words
"New, Crisp Bills Save Money" 11/17/12 502 words

NationalParksBlog

"Cholla Cactus Garden Joshua Tree National Park" 11/11/12 381 words
"National Park Free Days 2013" 11/15/12 489 words

Timesharetrap

"Timeshare Mold Risks" 11/11/12 555 words
"Timeshare Lawyer Fraud Scam" 11/14/12 413 words

StrangeWaysToMakeMoney

"Strange Ways To Make Money" 11/11/12 550 words
"City Gold Mining" 11/17/12 553 words

HelloKittyHell

"Hello Kitty Macy's Parade New Balloon" 11/13/12 182 words

BloggingAwayDebt

"10 Things I Am Thankful For This Morning $100 Giveaway" 11/15/12 1226 words

Total Words Week One: 10,261

Challenge Blog 1

10:41 am
November 18, 2012

martin

posts 199

Studenomics

Why you need to grow up and move 11/12, 867 words

How you can move out 11/14, 750 words

Moving out horror stories 11/16, 764 words

Start Freelancing Now 

How to take vacations 11/12, 729 words

How to snag writing work 11/15, 604 words

Total word count: 3714.

Other articles: I wrote 4 freelance articles, but I didn't count the words because the drafts were created earlier. Wouldn't be far to calculate since the draft is often most challenging aspect.

Couple of notes: I travelled to Austin, Texas for the week. These articles were written at airports, flights, and random moments. No excuses though. 

1:11 pm
November 18, 2012

Edward Antrobus

Fort Collins, CO

posts 1008

Since a lot of people are having problems getting their word counts, I thought I would share my thoughts on my week one experience, since I am the king of short content. I had a class in college where we were graded exclusively on the length of our writing (History of Physics); I got a C. Confused

Normally, I write until I get my initial thoughts on the topic and then I'm done. I've had recipe posts under 100 words, and most of my other posts have averaged in the 300-500 range. Over 500 words was a long post for me. For the challenge, I know that's not sufficient. So after I finish my first draft, I reread it thinking about what else I might have to say on the topic. Sometimes what I write originally isn't even what I intended to write on the topic.

My post on working the night shift is a good example of this. I originally meant to talk about things like caffeine and diet, but the first draft was all about sleep schedules. So I added a section on food and drink and that took me from 700 words to over 1200.

I'm looking for editors, beta-readers, and some demographic research for my upcoming novel, Once Upon a Saturn Moon. If you like reading soft sci-fi thrillers, maybe with a touch of romance thrown in, you can find more information at http://seampublishing.com/once…..aturn-moon

If You Can Read, You Can Cookhttp://www.ifyoucanread.com | Think you can't cook? If you can read this sentence, then you can.

SEAM Publishinghttp://www.seampublishing.com | eBook formatting and publishing service

5:57 pm
November 18, 2012

Elle

Raleigh, NC

posts 199

Checking in this week

Couple Money

• 11/12 Smartphone Plans for $19/Month with Republic Wireless -> 1,330 words
  • 11/14 Revamping Our Monthly Budget for 2013 -> 1,105 words
  • 11/16 Ordinary Actions Produce Ordinary Results – Bank Better! -> 1,131 words

Total: 3,566 (I'm not counting my weekly links post)

My Financial Reviews

• 11/12 Cheap Smartphone Plans at Republic Wireless -> 534 words
  • 11/14 Are You Getting a Deal on Your Car Insurance? ->345 words
  • 11/16 Never Too Early – Kids' Savings Accounts -> 650 words

Total: 1, 529

Week 1 Total: 5,095 

This week was a challenge as I had to have most of the material up before we went out of town.My goal this week is to have my posts completed and scheduled by Wednesday. That will hopefully give me more time to brainstorm topics and write meatier posts. 

Having a target number to focus on did help once I started writing though – I was really trying to think of possible questions that readers may have and address them in the post accordingly. 

Elle Martinez

Couple Money- Live on one income; have fun with the second.

Couple Money Podcast – Building Up Your Marriage and Your Net Worth

Please chat with me - Couple Money on Twitter

9:43 pm
November 18, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Post edited 9:45 pm – November 18, 2012 by Financial Samurai

Looks like some good progress everyone! Sounds like everybody has written more than they normally would. I'm going to experiment with a higher publishing frequency as well. 

We should expect a seasonal decline in traffic given Thanksgiving, but don't get discouraged. We're looking long term.

Regards,

Sam

Financial Samurai - Helping you achieve financial freedom sooner, rather than later.

Yakezie Network Founder 

5:47 am
November 19, 2012

MoneyBeagle

posts 1466

For my first week, from a publishing standpoint, I did not acheive 5,000 words, as I only published about 3,800 words.  This is because I schedule some of my posts ahead, and they were smaller posts.  I did write 7,368 words over seven posts between my two sites. 

This is awesome to see, love to see all the progress!  Great work.

Member Site: Money Beagle

Visit Money Beagle    -    Email    -    Twitter    -   Facebook    -  Google+

5:56 am
November 19, 2012

MoneyBeagle

posts 1466

Financial Samurai said:

Currently wondering: Why it's so hard to let go and publish a new post the very next day. Hard to not keep a post up at the top position when you've worked so hard on it. Would you mind reading a new post five times a week on one site if posts are so long? Spreading content to more than 2-3 blogs is difficult.

For me, it's not about keeping it for any length of time based on how long I've worked on it or how much I like the post.  I personally like to have a queue of posts available so that I can keep a steady stream of content.  I find that on days that I work, I also write more often than not, but on days that I'm not at work, I don't write.  Period.  It just doesn't happen.  So the long Thanksgiving break will mean no content.  The week between Christmas and New Years, no content.  Starting the in the spring when we are camping again will mean no content anytime that we pull out of the driveway.  It's important for me to not go dark during those periods. 

Starting off the spring of 2012, I had about a month of content (roughly 16-18) posts.  Because of the various camping trips, I exhausted my entire supply of advance posts by the end of the summer, luckily doing so on our various trips.  If I hadn't built up content, that would have meant that I would have had that many days over the summer where I would have been dark. 

So, for me, there's a balance.  Once I get back up to my desired level of advanced written posts, I'll probably be much more liberal with publishing content immediately, adding days, or doubling up on posts.  But, my goals include having a backlog of posts, and I have to balance that with all of the other motivating factors. 

Hopefully this makes sense

Member Site: Money Beagle

Visit Money Beagle    -    Email    -    Twitter    -   Facebook    -  Google+

6:14 am
November 19, 2012

Hank Coleman

North Carolina

posts 363

Previously, I had try to post five 500 word blog posts on Money Q&A every weekday. In September, I made a conscience decision to scale back to three 500 word posts per week on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday. The thing that kills me is that I saw no change in traffic scaling back from 5x a week to 3x. Granted, these were only 500 words and I hardly ever wrote 1,000 or more. So, while I wholeheartedly jump in on this challenge, it is still with some reservation since I don't see an immediate direct benefit to writing so much. Am I out to lunch on this?

6:58 am
November 19, 2012

Financial Samurai

Admin

posts 1803

Post edited 1:30 pm – November 19, 2012 by Financial Samurai

Hank Coleman said:

Previously, I had try to post five 500 word blog posts on Money Q&A every weekday. In September, I made a conscience decision to scale back to three 500 word posts per week on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday. The thing that kills me is that I saw no change in traffic scaling back from 5x a week to 3x. Granted, these were only 500 words and I hardly ever wrote 1,000 or more. So, while I wholeheartedly jump in on this challenge, it is still with some reservation since I don't see an immediate direct benefit to writing so much. Am I out to lunch on this?

Hank, even 500 words X 5 a week is 2,500 words. That's great, however, it's going to be hard to break beyond your normal community of readers and get new readers through search. Funny enough, 500 word posts is the most frequently cited length I get when spammers try to pitch me their guest posts. 

How about try three, 1,650 word posts one week, every week for a couple months and see how it goes? The pick up won't be immediate, but I have a strong feeling if you keep it up, you're going to see a surge 3-6 months down the road 

Regards,

Sam

Yakezie Network Founder 

5:11 pm
November 19, 2012

TightFistedMiser

posts 361

I only got 3175 words written for the first week.  That is more than I usually do but still a long way from 5,000. I'll have more time to write this week since I'll have a couple extra days off because of Thanksgiving.  I may also have more things I'd rather be doing than writing this week though.

7:05 am
November 20, 2012

seedebtrun

posts 327

Very impressive output from you guys!…

I could maybe hit that total if I included all of the documentation and emails that I write in my day job :-)

But from blogging alone.. no chance.

But I admire those of you who can generate that amount of content!

-j-

See Debt Run

Follow our journey back to financial sanity

Blog [ http://seedebtrun.com ]

Follow on Twitter [ @seedebtrun ]

Like on Facebook [ seedebtrun ]

No Tags

About the Yakezie.com Forum

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 9
Topics: 6383

Membership:

There are 13651 Members
There have been 20 Guests

There are 9 Admins
There are 8 Moderators

Top Posters:

My Personal Finance Journey – 3159
Khaleef @ KNS Financial – 3149
Budgeting in the Fun Stuff – 3048
Sustainable PF – 2759
Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter – 2213
Eric – PersonalProfitability.com – 2120

Administrators: The College Investor (1935 Posts), Financial Samurai (1803 Posts), LaTisha @YoungFinances (1715 Posts), Forest Parks (1337 Posts), 20s Finances (1147 Posts), Money Reasons (697 Posts), Chris Johnson (78 Posts), Sydney at Untemplater (0 Posts), Suba (0 Posts)

Moderators: Suba @ Wealth Informatics (1876 Posts), sooverthis (1041 Posts), PK @ DQYDJ (361 Posts), jmichelsen (208 Posts), Ramona (13 Posts), JeremyNJohnson (4 Posts), Moderator (0 Posts), rackgeek (0 Posts)